The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Muting unwanted sounds while sliding (PF 'if you're gonna..)
Michell Geerdink

Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 6:16 am    

I'm trying to learn this great solo, beautifully played by Paul Franklin.

I've noticed that there are a lot of slides. One touch with the pick, then slide up on the neck.
When i try to do that i'm hearing tones from strings i don't want to hear.
How does he block or mute those strings? In some fragments i see him block string 9, that seems to work but not in all cases.
Thanks,
Michell
https://youtu.be/cixiEyfeJSg

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 1:47 pm    

First off, thanks for posting that. I love hearing this woman sing (RIP), and Mr Franklin's solo was just killer! As to your question, I'm rather new at this but, I hear the same thing you do. I am assuming that when we actually play with a band, it will be so negligible that it won't matter much. If any of the old hands have another answer to this, I too would love too hear it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 2:06 pm    

Three big factors enter the equation - picking forcefully enough (so the desired notes are louder than the noise), muting the strings behind the bar with your left hand, and muting the unpicked (lower) strings with the heel of your right hand. One other tip is to only have the bar covering strings you're actually playing. If you're playing strings 5&8, the bar should not be touching strings 1-4. Cool

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 4:12 pm    

A true Master!!!!!
Smile Smile Smile Smile

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 6:41 am    

For those interested, Paul has TAB of that solo at his blog: If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong"

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 12:06 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Three big factors enter the equation - picking forcefully enough (so the desired notes are louder than the noise), muting the strings behind the bar with your left hand, and muting the unpicked (lower) strings with the heel of your right hand. One other tip is to only have the bar covering strings you're actually playing. If you're playing strings 5&8, the bar should not be touching strings 1-4. Cool

This.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 12:26 pm    

I pretty much do what Donny says. I don't do anything special. It's more about practicing allot and learning how to leave out the sounds you don't like rather than adding extra techniques.

https://youtu.be/BrdJEhXk3Gk

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 4:47 pm    

One thing nobody has mentioned...

As another newbie, I was having this problem a couple of months ago. Specifically, I was doing a glissando on one of the low strings, so much of the "good advice" didn't help.

Other than "try not to do that", what did help was to put less pressure on the bar, as well as moving it to cover only the strings it needed to cover. It seems to require less pressure during a slide than it does to play a note with good tone.

I hope that helps.

--Al Evans

Franklin

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 8:12 pm    

Michelle,

Here is an explanation of my blocking....

https://paulfranklinmethod.com/tackling-blocking/

Unwanted notes or vibrating strings have to be blocked no matter which technique you choose....Practicing everything extremely slow is the key to not building bad blocking habits. If you are experiencing unwanted notes just picking harder will not eliminate those unwanted strings vibrations when players are playing emotionally utilizing vibrato and picking softly for the cry as I do many times during solos for dynamic expression....So its best to slow things way down and study what is causing that problem when it happens. Everything is fixable with a little TLC focussing on the correct hand position for your physicality. One thing for sure, an active vibrato without picking any notes will cause all to ring. That's where bar technique comes in handy. The strings the bar touches will ring when the fingers behind the bar are not aiding to dampen their overtones.

Paul

Michell Geerdink

Netherlands
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 4:01 am    

Thank you all for your replies,

What a great place this is. Lots of tips and ideas to learn from.

I'm now 47, started playing pedal steel about 6 years ago. In the beginning i had so many doubts about learning a new instrument at this age. But places like this where people are more than willing to help out are very, very motivating.
And Paul, thanks so much for taking the time to give your input and tips and advises. It will certainly help me a lot.

I will work on that solo until i get it right,

Michell