The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyless or keyhead model $$$$
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 10:07 am    

How many would consider buying a pro Keyless for $ 1495 or Keyhead model for $1695
3 over 3 changer all pull
No wrench needed to tune open tuning
String Changing about as fast as u can take them from the package.
24 pounds total weight of Steel
Good sound
Playability as good as the best steel you ever played.

Last edited by Johnie King on 8 Aug 2018 4:38 am; edited 6 times in total

Sandro Rocco

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 4:42 pm    

Are you selling one?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 6:17 pm    

Maybe Sandro in the future if I get some interest I know a Keyless is not as popular as a keyhead model. But I think with a design that string changes are a breeze to change plus knobs that are easy to turn With super fine threads for tuning open tuning. Plus very easy copeadent changes. Compact An light weight. A Pro Steel all the way for a very good price. Just Might draw a lot of interest.

Stephen McClurg

Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 4:49 am    

I might be interested in one, if the design looks good to me, and if it can handle my simple copedent. I really like the looks of that blue one you made, that was nice. I wouldn't even really need a triple raise / lower changer - all I'm using is double raises and single lowers. Would it be all-pull, or pull-release?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 7:11 am    

Stephen they will be all pull pro steels all the way. String changes will be fast an easy. I'm thinking the pedal an knee leaver action will be very good. Will make a great gig guitar.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 4:29 am    

Steven the keyhead model would actually cost more too build. Keyless is not for every body.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 6:31 am     Keys or NO Keys

It's keys for me... PERIOD

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 6:47 am    

I've never had the opportunity to play a keyless guitar,Not against it however.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 8:54 am    

Stu I love Keyless but there sure not for everybody. I would like too here some good reasons some steel players dislike the keyless that would give me a chance address some of the negative things in a new build. I have addressed the string changing problem.An I honestly here no difference in sound. Just seems we need more choices for a pro steel that doesn’t break the bank. Labor is a huge factor so it has to be very easy to manufacture. An has to be copeadent change friendly. I’m open to negative an positive comment’s.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 9:01 am    

I have an early 60s Permanent with no roller nut and a GFI keyless and like them both for different jobs. I like the little knobs on the GFI for tuning open strings. The lack of standard headstock doesn't disorient me. That's probably because I don't play anything that complex and am already disoriented.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 11:12 am     Keyless or keyhead model

I havd owned 3 keyed guitars and one keyless. I liked the keyless best. From a mechanical standpoint, you just can't improve on grab hold and pull. You can tune down as well as up. The strings don't have to be as long, which means you don't have to tighten them as much which in turn means the string doesn't break as easily. Another plus is you can change the strings faster. I think the #1 reason keyless has never caught on is "the guitar looks funny" or "this is the way we've always done it." If I could save $200.00 by going keyless, it is a no brainer. Just my 2 cents, which is probably worth only one cent, if that.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 6:26 am    

Johnie King wrote:
Steven the keyhead model would actually cost more too build. Keyless is not for every body.

Whatever you build, it won't be for everybody. Pick your customers & serve them.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 6:35 am    

The Kline keyless I once had was the best guitar I have ever owned. Still pissed that my ex made me sell it when I bought my Carter.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 6:53 am     Keyless or keyhead model

Richard, the keyless I owned was a U-12 Kline. I'm with you, best guitar I ever owned. Getting rid of it was a big mistake.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 7:04 am    

Been using keyhead guitars for almost 50 years. I'm 70 next birthday, and I wouldn't change things at my time of life.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 8:16 am    

What difference does it make, as long as it allows you to tune and it stays in tune. I vote keyless. To accomplish your low cost and low weight goals it seems a good choice. I hope you move forward with this.

RC

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 11:44 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
What difference does it make, as long as it allows you to tune and it stays in tune. I vote keyless. To accomplish your low cost and low weight goals it seems a good choice. I hope you move forward with this.

RC

+1

Johnie,

Haven't you already built at least 1 keyless guitar? I thought I saw one that you made.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2018 5:23 pm    

Richard I've built some prototype but I think the new style should be able to tune open tuning with knobs like the old Sierra or Gfi. Some steel pros peak there open tuning very often while playing.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 9:41 am    

I've said this before & I'll say it again. I have never heard a keyless guitar that I thought sounded good.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2018 12:02 pm    

Opinion only but I'm more open to keyless than I used to be. My only complaint is some of them are really small and not too easy to sit behind for taller players. Johnie, from what I've seen of your work on here they will be a great looking steel and that seems like a fair price. In fact I found it unusual because most makers actually charge more for keyless.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 6:06 am    

I honestly don’t think u could tell the difference in sound between a Keyless an key model in a blind test Ben. Listen too Cowboy Eddie long he gets a greate sound out of a Keyless 12 string BMI.

Last edited by Johnie King on 13 Aug 2018 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 6:08 am    

Sonny where are you I know your Keyless to the bone.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 10:40 am    

Oh yes,,,keyless to the core!!! People who say they have NEVER heard a keyless that they liked reminds me , several years ago one of our esteemed forumites made a big rant ,,,same thing,,,hated the sound of keyless. About a week later he posted ,,,literally raving about a concert he went to, Tom Brumley playing his Anapeg,,,,best sound he ever heard,,,LOL!!!! (Tom gave me my first keyless,,,I've never looked back!) Some,,,most,,, are hung up in tradition,,,forget about Winnie Winston (the man who wrote the steel gutar "bible" that got most of us started) chopping the key head off his guitar,,,or much sought after guitars like Klines, Anapeg,,,and now the Maserati of guitars,,,Ross Shafer's Sierra. A lot of people have asked me to "name" my little lap steel,,,,I'm considering the name,,"EVOLUTION",,,it's time to evolve,,,move on people!!! Same with tunings,,,with all the myriad of tunings we see here on the forum,,,E9 and C6 being foundational,,,there are still just 12 notes in western music,,,and any one of those notes can have infinite voices,,,,depending on the note or notes that go with it,,,I think Paul refers to it as "permutations" .

When it's all said and done,,,,"To each his own"

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2018 3:09 pm    

I've heard many steels I disliked the tone of but not all were keyless, some were but some were even old classic models. Bad tone can be had with any instrument. I think its interesting to see a lot of the innovation going on in the steel world. Keyless has come a long way if you look at its brief history.
Johnie, on a side note I was curious about your standard keyhead guitars, I know we have seen a couple of your keyless builds but have we ever seen a standard keyhead guitar as this post mentions would be offered?

Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 6:53 am    

Johnie, I'd certainly be interested in seeing what you come up with. Your price projection provides some incentive. I've been playing a keyless Excel for the past year and like the size and convenience. Sounds and plays great.