The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  zb custom steel
Keith Russell

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 2:11 pm    

For Greg Jones,I still have my first guitar ,a zb custom ser.no. 011 . I bought it from Zane who lived close by and was a special friend.It,s been many years but I remember ,i think he told me it was his personal guitar. Can you possibly check that and year made. thanks so much

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 3:24 pm    

If the guitar was 0011 it would be a 69' built in Bakersfield. 1011 would be a 65'. That number kinda throws me off a bit. There were a few odd numbers built though. Lets see a picture!!!

Keith Russell

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 11:10 am     zb s 12 serial no.

Greg the s/n on this guitar ,after closer inspection ,looks like 0111 , it,s a twelve single with 4x5 with Zane,s tuning. I still use the tuning ,modified some toward Zane King,s setup.While Zane was playing local with Bob and Faye Morris ,my dad was playing bass. While doing a gig at the county fair ,dad tilted this guitar off a 4 foot stage onto the concrete floor on it,s top ,sounded like lightening had hit the building. Scared my dad to death,Zane wasn,t the least bit perturbed ,he insisted they finish their break,,they set it back up ,it had only bent one key,he had only to tweak that string.It still has that same bent key.I changed the brown mica to birdseye but i will set it up and send photos. I would consider selling it, maybe?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 2:43 pm    

A ZB with mica?

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 5:08 pm    

Keith, I just recently got this D-11, #1117. Built by Zane Beck 1968 before he sold to Tom in 1969. I am looking forward to restoring this old girl. It's all their, just needs some TLC. It has been refinished. Not very well but I hope to make her look good again. J.R.