The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Super Pro Changer Issue
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 1:37 pm    

I am looking for a remedy for my 4th and 5th changer fingers hanging up. Only time they do this is when I lower the "E" on the 4th string. Sometimes the finger will grab a hold of the 5th finger and raise the 5th string when you don't want to. I see what and why it does it. The fingers walk into each other. When I push the B and C pedals they will separate instead of moving against each other. I have a couple new ones I could install if needed. Looking for the repair.

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 3:43 pm    

Maybe someone here can help, but if not, contact Tom Bradshaw. I just bought a Super Pro that he setup, and he told me in great detail about how he reset the changer fingers to new positions making it like new. He might be a good guy to ask.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 5:06 pm    

Are the pullrods slightly off-straight?
If you push the 4th string lower scissor with a Phillips head screwdriver, does it wander into the 5th string scissors?

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 5:49 pm    

Lane, The pull rods are pulling straight or parallel with the body. It does wander into the 5th string scissor. I did flip the return spring over on the 4th finger. It did help but I see it still wants to hug the 5th finger closer then I like.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 7:03 pm    

If you have the stomach to remove fingers, then you might inspect for a worn pivot rivet, and GENTLY repeen it. That'll make a finger wobble.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 4:48 am    

I've noticed on my Super Pro (to my slight dismay), when I have it upside down for one thing or another, that the fingers are pretty moveable side-to-side You might try (very gently!) pushing apart the fingers for strings 4 and 5. Obviously, the actual finger head to which the string attaches will not move, just the raise and (especially) the lower plates. Having said this, I have never encountered the problem you are describing, so take this with a grain of salt.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 7:48 am    

Thank you for your responses. Going to remove the 4th and 5th fingers today and either peen the rivets or replace the fingers. I have a couple new ones.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 8:03 am    

Gentleness is crucial. You want them snug enough to be wobble-free, but loose enough to pivot effortlessly. Easy to do, but also easy to overdo.
Not like I've done that or anything

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 12:09 pm     Problem & Solution

EDIT NOTE: After posting this I realized that I had mis-read Kevin's problem, then provided a solution to another Sho-Bud problem. I'll not remove this post, since others may have the problem that I discuss here. ...Tom

This problem is common on most of the Sho-Bud's that have chrome plated fulcrum (bridge) pieces. Over time, the steel fingers of the changer wear through the chrome plating on those fulcrum pieces and begin digging into the pot metal selected to make those bridge pieces. When those grooves get too deep, the accuracy of the guitar's pitch changes diminish, and eventually, the changer fingers start to hang up in those grooves (which sounds exactly like what Kevin is experiencing).

The best fix is to take out the whole changer and examine all the fulcrum pieces. Where any indication exists that the fulcrum pieces are beginning to show wear, bend the changer fingers that are making the groves to the left or right of the existing wear points on the offending fulcrum pieces. Re-lubricate and re-install the changer properly. Problem solved.

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 9 Aug 2018 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 12:09 pm     Problem & Solution

Duplicate of above reply, so was erased.

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 9 Aug 2018 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 12:26 pm    

Very important info about Super Pro era Sho-Buds, Tom. But I'm not understanding how the dreaded "notch" issue would cause the fifth string to raise when the fourth is lowered.

Tom Bradshaw

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 12:44 pm     Adjacent strings changing pitch with pedal/knee action

Your problem requires "trouble-shooting." Your problem is obviously mechanical. You need to peer into the changer through every angle you can to determine what mechanical action is coming in contact with the string that is being affected. The most probable observation point is with the guitar upside down and a helping person (your wife?) moving the pedals and knee levers as you hold a flashlight and peer into the changer.

There may be too much slop between the changer levers of those two strings and some part of the 4th string is rubbing against the raise lever of the 5th string when you lower the 4th strings. If nothing is found there, observe the pulling train of the 4th string, and look for any contact between the 4th string's pulling train and that of the pulling train of the 5th string.
If nothing cures the problem, burn the guitar and end up with a very happy wife!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 4:43 pm    

Had it up side down on the kitchen table, Between Meals)!!! so not to make my wife mad. Where the fingers are riveted together their is no access play. I do see where most of the play is. It is at the pin that goes through the bridge. What I did do is I moved the pull on the bell crank a little closer to the front apron. (A bit of a angle) I done this on the 4th string changer. On the 5th string changer I moved the pull on the bell crank slightly toward the inside neck. I did flip the pull spring over on the 4th string changer. It was just enough to keep them separated. If it does it again I may pull the 4th and 5th finger out and re bush the main fulcrum point so that it is snugger to the shaft. James Morehead had the right idea. He put small bearings in there I believe. James and John Coop were good at what they did. R.I.P. to both of them.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 4:51 pm    

Another possible fix may be to shim on the axle shaft between the 4th and 5th fingers just enough to make them snug.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 7:52 pm    

Kevin Fix wrote:
Another possible fix may be to shim on the axle shaft between the 4th and 5th fingers just enough to make them snug.

That'd be one thin washer!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 7:06 am    

I would contact Jeff Surratt and see if he would sell you a set of changer fingers. They would last you a lifetime and..............he doesn't use pot metal. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 8:01 am    

Quote:
Had it up side down on the kitchen table, (Between Meals)!!! so not to make my wife mad.

Back in the late 1970s a friend of mine rebuilt a 20 year old VW engine on the dining room table, using lots of pads and covers mind you. For some reason his wife was mad at him for a long time. Laughing

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 6:40 am    

Lee. I can relate to that. Steel Guitars, Rochester and Holley Carbs, etc. Before I had a garage the kitchen table got a work out. I was good about it. I did clean all my carb parts before bringing them to the table. The kitchen table seen numerous Buds for sure.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 7:02 am    

The kitchen table has seen many uses over the years.... Smile