The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Omni Volume Pedal
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 12:55 pm    

Anyone have one of the new Goodrich Omni volume pedals? Love it? Hate it? any thoughts?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 2:36 pm    

Well Larry Sasser loves his and did an extensive review in another post and on FaceBook.

Even though I am a Goodrich dealer, I had to buy one as Goodrich does not give away their products.

So here goes:
I love my Telonics pedal but miss the growl of a pot pedal, so I ordered an OMNI to check it out.
The new Goodrich pots are as close to an Allen Bradley pot in tonal quality as I can hear, plus they are designed to last a long time, with virtually no failures.

I love being able to push a small switch and add basically the electronics of a modified Matchbox 7A. I still get the volume POT growl, but sweetened up some in the sweep of the pedal.

The OMNI is very well made and designed to work for steel guitar or any instrument needing a volume pedal, with duplicate outputs on both the left and right.

I like the "always hot" tuner output also.

It is available in High or Low profile and unlike the old L and H pedals, these are the same price for either profile.

If you decide you want to get one of these, get in touch with me and I will give you a great price.

Bill Ferguson
bferguson1947@gmail.com
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 5:18 pm    

Thanks Bill!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 6:23 pm     Goodrich omni pedal

I have had one for a month and have gotten used to it and am liking it a lot. I used it Friday on a gig along with my 82 Zum, Katana head, TT-12 speaker, and Wet Reverb. Had killer sound.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 7:01 pm     Omni pedal

George, Is yours the high profile or low, and do you prefer the active or passive mode? Thanks.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 1:55 am     Goodrich omni pedal

George, mine is the standard height. I tried a low profile once and didn't like the short throw. I got it because I have long legs and can't play a standard height guitar. My current guitar is 2" higher, so height is not an issue.

I am using the active setting, otherwise, it is pretty much a standard, very expensive, pot pedal. Depending on the sound I am getting at a venue or my mood, I might switch to the passive mode.

I can't envision ever using the power supply since a 9 volt battery will run it a minimum of 500 bours. Should the battery go down during a gig, I will just switch to passive mode or drag out the power supply.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 6:23 am    

Our original estimate of 500 hours was conservative in the advertising- my tests at the shop stopped at 1000 hours- that battery had dropped 1 volt and the pedal still worked fine.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 7:21 am    

I like mine. Very Happy
Erv

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 7:23 am     Goodrich omni pedal

My Lil Izzy is supposed to go 3000 hours. Sounds like the Omni might do about as well.

Jim, thanks for your great service replacing the power supply. The new one works fine.

I do have one question. When the switch is in the passive position and you are plugged into the pedal input, is the battery draining? I would think not, but just want to be sure.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 2:57 pm    

George, plugging in the adapter disconnects the battery so there is no drain. Bypassed mode also disconnects battery.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 4:15 pm     Goodrich omni pedal

Thanks, Kevin. The first part I knew and was assuming the 2nd part. Just looking for confirmation that I was right. Thanks.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 6:59 pm    

Kevin, I was wondering about this also.

Specifically, if I leave a cable plugged into the input, active mode on, power supply plugged in, then turn off the power (everything still plugged in with power off to the 9v supply), what happens? Battery draining or not.

I've been doing exactly this every day after practicing. If the answer is that the battery is off I like that a lot - I can flip a switch off, go walk the dog, and not worry about the battery.

I like this pedal.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 8:20 pm    

Larry, I’ve had one for several months now... I got it because I loved the idea of being able to go Active or Passive with it... I also have a Telonic’s Multi Taper, so feel I have two of the best pedals available today.. I got the Omni from Bill Ferguson in record time and immediately called him after about two minutes of playing it... I thought I wasn’t hearing it right, but confirmed with Bill that the beautiful smooth warmth I was hearing from this pedal was EXACTLY what I was hearing... It reminded me of the old ORIGINAL AB Pots which I’ve missed for a very long time... I loved this pedal from the very first strike of the strings... Its feel and tone are excellent along with its construction... Aaaaaand Bill will give you a screaming deal should you decide to get one.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 10:02 pm    

I love mine!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 5:49 am     Goodrich Omni volume pedal

I had the Omni pedal and liked it, then I tried a Lehle. I preferred the Lehle, so I sold the Omni.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 11:39 am    

Tom... just by inserting the power connector into the omni pedal dc input jack shorts out the battery connection, disconnecting the battery... adapter powered on or off... so yes, powering off your adapter still leaves the battery disconnected.. Does that make sense? hope so. Sorry for the really late reply!

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 11:54 am    

I'm interested in an Omni. Can anyone compare the tone vs. the Goodrich 120 pot pedal and a Hilton?

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 9:33 pm    

Kevin, Thanks. That's what I was hoping for. Perfect.
Tom

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 6:41 am    

Jim,
If you use the OMNI in PASSIVE mode, then you basically have a 120, with some other options.
If you use the OMNI in ACTIVE mode, you add in a slight buffer that cleans up some of the "dirty" pot tone (that some people really like). It does not make your pedal bright like a Hilton.

The Hilton is totally electric and very clean. Some of the newer players prefer the "electric" tone.
Most of the older players and many of the younger PRO players really like the old pot pedal sound, as do I.

Hope this helps.

If you need more info, drop me an email to bferguson1947@gmail.com

Thanks,
Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 3:04 pm     Winner!!

I know this product has been around for a few years now but I gotta throw out some love for my new VP. I’ve been using a well known and loved active pedal for about 12years and it’s been an absolute trooper through 1000’s of shows all over the world. I bought the Omni through the Goodrich store on amazon with my Trump-bump stimulus check and when I plugged it in it was an instant eureka bomb. Being able to switch between passive and active is a real game changer for me tonally. The passive setting really warms up my rig and I can actually use the treble knob on my amps. Even the active setting sounds better to me on my tonally quirky Sierra than my other pedal. I can’t wait to play with an actual band again on an actual stage in front of actual people to hear and feel the magic at those volumes.
I haven’t had that experience in a very long while of getting a new piece of gear that has such a huge effect on my love for playing. VIVA GOODRICH!!!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2020 4:16 pm    

Gary, Welcome to the Goodrich Family.