The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2 Head
Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 5:25 am    

Has anyone ever tried one of these for pedal steel?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 5:38 am    

I just recently received my Mach 2 HD12 combo (200W 12" speaker). I've gigged it twice. My first impressions are that there is a LOT to learn about using this amp with its different voicings and boost options and I've got a ways to go. I am not fond of the small closed back cab (I don't prefer closed cabs in general).

My very strong desire was for an acceptable sound in a one piece (combo) very lightweight two channel (clean/dirty) package. At 21 lbs. this is sure grab & go. I suspect that the Steelaire is sweeter for steel.

My verdict at this moment is that yes -- it is an acceptable pedal steel amp. I can get sweet clean steel guitar out of it. I'm still experimenting with the dirty side of things and can't ditch the pedal board just yet.

The reverb, like the Pro Block, has some modulation to it. When tuning by ear I turn it off to eliminate the beats that it is causing.

My feeling is that there are some sonic compromises vs. a dedicated steel amp. The scales of justice weigh sonics vs. convenience and for me right now I like the sound well enough and I love the convenience.

Pair your own cab with the head and you gain the ability to choose your cab and you lose the one piece convenience.

These are my impressions after a half dozen rehearsals and two gigs. Hope it helps.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 5:42 am    

*IF* you are on Facebook, this was a rehearsal snippet from a few weeks ago. I can't find a way to make it available any other way. I am running thru the Mach 2.

https://www.facebook.com/julestaylor/posts/10212587133736703?comment_id=10212712560192286&notif_id=1533475863866045&notif_t=mentions_comment&ref=notif

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 10:42 am    

I have a Mach II Micro Pro 8" combo that I use sometimes. I find it to be a good tool to have but I don't always use it. I find the "Full EQ" setting to work best for steel or the "Brown" to be good too. The last two times I took it to a gig we used the direct out and the sound men were very pleased with the results.

Again, if you're on Facebook here is about 10 seconds of my new Sierra through the Quilter Mach II using the direct out.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.mello1/videos/pcb.10210140329778600/10210140309338089/?type=3&theater

It was nice to make one trip to the car with this small rig!Smile

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2018 12:05 pm    

Anyone using just the head with a separate speaker cabinet? Thanks everyone.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2018 6:44 am    

I have the 8" version that I sometimes plug into my nashville 112e cabinets. It works very well, so I think the head would be good also. I went back and forth between the head and the 8" combo. But decided on the 8" combo so it would be easy to move around the house. I've been happy with it.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 11:36 am    

I just bought one and will use it on an outdoor gig next Thursday. Will report back.

FWIW, I only made the purchase after a long AB comparison between my LTD and my Micropro combo driving a 15" JBL in a closed back cab (what I plan to use with the head version), and decided it was worth a try. Gigs are different from at home comparisons, though.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2018 1:07 pm    

Thanks Dan

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 8:29 am    

Used my Micropro head last night for the first time. Playing my Super Pro (with Matchbox 7a through Zoom MS50G multistomp) into a JBL M35 4ohm 15" (the D130 clone they originally put in Session 400s) in a closed back cab. This was in a room I play once a month with a moderately loud band (two Teles, upright bass, drums).

Overall I was very pleased. It was less familiar than my trusty LTD or my beloved '71 Twin, so I spent more time than usual making minor adjustments (mostly to the High Cut, Treble, and Mid knobs). When I opened up the volume pedal for solos the sound was excellent. Certainly different from my older amps, but excellent: clear, full, good string separation, holding together way up the neck. On E9, I had a little trouble getting a good balance across all the stings and up and down the neck at lower volumes. Mainly, to get the mids clear, the highest notes were a little thinner than I would have liked. Not a glaring issue at all, but I was extra attuned to what I was hearing last night and made a mental note of this to report back on. Coversely, my C6 neck was more even and less boomy at the bottom end than usual. Of course, all of this could be a function of the JBL in a closed back cabinet vs. the Weber California in an open back LTD that I have always used in that room.

That JBL and cab weigh @30lbs. The Micropro head weighs something like five pounds. My LTD is a little over 50. The Twin....don't ask. I will still bring my Twin to loud outdoor gigs because those are the only situations where I can open it up to 4 or 5 and really let it speak. That amp is my ideal for what an amplified steel should sound like. I'll risk some years of back health to get to hear it once or twice a year. The LTD is still a great amp, and I'm sure I'll still bring it out for some gigs, but I expect to be moving over to the Quilter with a closed back cab for now. I might try putting a Weber Michigan in the cab to cut the weight down even further (@10lbs less)and see how it effects the balance issues a described above.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 8:55 am    

Thank you Dan, for taking the time to report on your findings.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2018 10:41 am    

Slight correction: my JBL is an M31 (not 35).

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 8:12 am     Update/Second Thoughts

So......

Used the combination of the Micropro Mach2 head and the JBL in a closed cab again a week ago yesterday in a very different setting (drummer-less folk/Americana group, outdoors) and for the life of me I could not get a sound I liked. I spent the past week checking everything in the chain including a lot of A/B-ing the difference between this combination and my Micropro 200 combo into the JBL speaker. I even took the Mach2 head to the original gig last night (it's a steady once-a-month show) and had the lead player (who uses this same head) swap out mine for his with identical settings. His Tele sounded exactly the same with mine or his, ruling out the (unlikely) scenario that something had gone south with mine between the first and second times I gigged it. I should have used it again last night to see if I could once again get the sound I liked the first time when pushing at higher volumes, but I just played it safe and went with my Peavey LTD.

For now, my thinking is that the older Micropro 200 is much better suited to the pedal steel than the newer Micropro Mach2. I would describe the difference as a pronounced chime-i-ness in the newer version that is not there in the older version, and which I don't particularly like. To be fair, it's a sound I hear on a lot of post 1970s steel recordings, so other players might be fine with it, might actually prefer it to the older Micropro 200.

I am going to wait and use the Micropro Mach 2/JBL combo again at the recurring gig next month. If I still don't get the sound I prefer, I'll sell that and wait for an older Micropro 200 head to come up for sale. (Or if one comes up in the meantime, I might just go ahead and snag it.)

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 8:23 am    

Interesting, Dan. I've had a few gigs now with my HP12 Mach 2 combo but all of them have been duo w/ acoustic guitar. This last gig Friday, though, the guitarist was pushing some air thru a PA and I was just running, unmic'd. So far I am really pleased. The test will be playing with a full band. I'll be listening for issues then.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2018 10:45 am    

Well, as I said. some steel payers may prefer the sound of the Mach2 over the older 200. I think we all have a particular sound in our minds that we hope for an amp to replicate.