The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help! Fender Triple problem
Randy Sorenson

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 2:49 pm    

I have a early 50s Fender Triple neck. For lack of a better term the 'tailpiece' which wraps over the end of the guitar and the strings tread into, has a crack right where it folds over the end of the guitar. I've talked to a couple welders and they say that the metal is probably too thin to weld without burning through it. Any thoughts on a fix or where I might find a replacement piece?
JB Weld? Thanks

Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 3:10 pm    

I believe it's 16 guage sheet steel, so, can be TIG welded, but, you'd need a real talented welder and it could warp the piece.

If you want to take it off, you could soldier it, the way I see it, you are just trying to stop the string from getting into the crack. Silver soldering would be the best, would show the least. You could also braze it, but like the welding, might warp the piece.

If you don't want to take it off, JB Weld would work too, just fill up the crack.

Jim
Beginning Player, 1946 Fender Dual Pro- Boxcar, Late 1950's Fender Champ, 1954 Fender D8 MK1 Stringmaster Project, MK 2 Stringmaster 22.5 Single Neck Project, MK 2 Stringmaster T8 22.5" Project, Vintage D8 built with Stringmaster Parts. Lottsa parts.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 4:22 pm    

Assuming it could be welded, how much would it cost you?

You could get a replacement part for $54 (or make an offer).

That's what I'd do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-1953-1954-1955-Fender-lap-steel-bridge-plate-Stringmaster-Professional/132335820767?hash=item1ecfd45fdf%3Ag%3AAOgAAOSwM7JZwxa7&_pgn=2&_sacat=0&_nkw=fender+lap+steel&_from=R40&rt=nc

Jim Dickinson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 6:53 pm    

Find a guy that has a home welding shop, who welds professionally. Buy him a six pack of a bottle of something. It's so small it's not worth billing it'll take ten minutes? An alternate would be to check out you local Tech School, see if you can get the teacher to get one of his prize students to do it.

Any good multi talented weld shop can do it, would not take it to the guy who builds gates with a stick welder. If a shop had to bill it, they would likely have to get 50 bucks to do it with the setup time. Do you know anyone who works in a body shop, they weld thinner metal, ask at work, Church, etc, someone will know some one. You want it TIG (heliarc) welded, it will be the lowest temperature of the welding. Brazing takes heating up a larger area, soldering does too, but the temperature is much much lower.

The problem with the home welders is, that you are on their schedule. I can ask my friend Andy if he could do it, but them their is shipping to consider.
Beginning Player, 1946 Fender Dual Pro- Boxcar, Late 1950's Fender Champ, 1954 Fender D8 MK1 Stringmaster Project, MK 2 Stringmaster 22.5 Single Neck Project, MK 2 Stringmaster T8 22.5" Project, Vintage D8 built with Stringmaster Parts. Lottsa parts.