The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eleven Rack
Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 7:01 am    

Has anyone used an Eleven Rack?
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2018 12:21 am    

When I purchased Pro Tools 12 it was bundled. It has many fine features for direct plug-in to the DAW as well as excellent processing sounds (with editing) . In my situation I just didn't need another processor or another means to plug-in to the DAW so I sold it for $250 brand new. Those that use them like them, it's a quality unit.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2018 7:01 am    

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Abb.steelguitarforum.com+%22eleven+rack%22

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2018 7:48 am    

I had one for a brief time. For direct recording, it's great. I didn't find the effects very useful. The cab simulator isn't very useful either. I basically used the 11R as a preamp into my DAW and then a cab simulator plugin in the post chain. I purchased a Milkman Half & Half recently, and with the DI in the mix, the 11R was redundant. But they're great for the money. Sweetwater has them new for $299.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2018 5:20 pm    

Pedal Steel Podcast author Bryan Daste swears by his, and eventually I plan to hire him to come teach me how to use mine, still mint in box, if you can believe it. I believe Bruce Bouton uses or used it, too.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2018 11:37 pm    

I’m actually selling mine - I got a Kemper, and I don’t need two modelers. It’s great for steel though! I’ve recorded tons with it. Email or PM me if you’re interested, Gary!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 12:13 am    

"Architecture" is the word I use... some things just match up well with some people. If I had a system that was centered around Pro Tools, I would surely use an Eleven. I'm sure they use the same kind of terminology, organization, and... what can I say, "building blocks" maybe? Ditto with all the Line 6 stuff, "Studer" appears to be trheir buy-in to Big Boy Recordng, for us li'l ones there's PODs and Helix.

And of course the BOSS/Roland stuff will like it's own inbred cuzzies the best. However I got onto the DOD/Digitech thing WAY back - Genesis 3, anyone? And probably from familiarity, I can get an RP set-up that'll MUNCH anything I can get out of a POD, BOSS etc. But the "I" is the heart of it.

It's almost like there's five, or seven "families" you can choose to join, and "who's the best?" kinda joins the other Q's of that sort: Who makes the best guitars and who makes the best song and what's the best note and what's the single best food.... Rolling Eyes AAAK.

Ed Byerly

N. Baltimore, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 7:34 am     Eleven Rack

I've been using one for about a year now. Easy to program for all my instruments. I switch from steel to lead to 5-string and run thru a stereo amp, then into 2 15" black widows. I do use a morley ABC switch box before the volume pedal. *note: I also use a Digitech Vocalist for my harmonies, so it all runs thru that before the volume pedal.
I turn the cabinet simulators off.
Now, when I make the transition from stage to studio, it is very simple. It has all of the possible inputs and outputs you could want. Got it at Sweetwater with Protools.
*one other note: I realize the so-called stereo effect is only good for me and anyone standing about 10 ft in front of me..LOL. However, most importantly, the TONE and clarity of the notes seem to be worth carrying the extra speaker for me.

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 1:19 pm    

I've had an Eleven Rack for years. I use it for all of my personal studio recording projects and it always comes through. It was a bit tricky to get the gain structure right but it is possible. Great for recording...too big for live use. TC

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 4:39 pm    

I used one for years. It served me well. I just recently changed to a Kemper and UA Apollo.
B

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2018 5:27 pm    

Bryan Daste wrote:
I’m actually selling mine - I got a Kemper, and I don’t need two modelers. It’s great for steel though! I’ve recorded tons with it. Email or PM me if you’re interested, Gary!

How about a review of that Kemper?

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 7:59 am    

I'm considering it for an upcoming episode. Trying to think of the best way to do it that would really showcase the unit & not just sound like, hey, here's steel through some different amp models. I may need to actually make a video to do it properly - there's nothing on YouTube about the Kemper with pedal steel! Could turn into a pretty epic project.

Tony, anything in particular you'd like to hear demonstrated with the Kemper? What amp are you using these days? Maybe I could come over and profile it, as an experiment. See how close we get to the real deal.

There are already tons of videos about the Kemper with guitar, of course. This one might be my favorite - two guitar "tone snobs" trying to tell the difference between the Kemper and the real amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJ_H5PiuTE&t=257s
and Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArYxQGBemfA&t=1027s

BTW, my next episode will feature an interview with Bruce Bouton, who's actually on this thread! Hi Bruce!

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2018 6:07 pm    

A friend in Nashville told me that Mike Johnson profiled his Boogie rack and it sounds just like his studio rig. I think Mike's using the Kemper on Reba's tour also. I want one !

Tony

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 8:52 am    

Who can provide a good baseline PSG setting for the ElevenRack?

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2018 3:37 pm    

Tim Harr wrote:
Who can provide a good baseline PSG setting for the ElevenRack?

I like the "DC Vintage" model with tone controls pretty much straight up the middle, but treble down. You can set the gain to get just a bit of hair on the sound; maybe 0.4 or 0.6, but it really depends on your pickup.

Bobby Hearn

Henrietta, Tx
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 4:36 am    

Are these for recording or to get recorded tone live? What model Kemper is recommended?

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 9:45 am    

Hey Tim,

In the 11, I like the Twin with a 15" speaker cab. Add a little Tape Delay and some reverb and it's pretty good to go. I can send you a preset or two if you like...PM me!

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 9:52 am    

Bobby, the Kemper is designed to capture the whole signal chain of a miked up amp. So if you get a tone you really like on a specific song in the studio, you could use the Kemper to "profile" that - you get the sound of the amp, at those specific settings, plus the cab, microphone, preamp, etc - everything in the chain becomes part of the profile. Then later you can recreate the sound of the chain just by playing through that profile. So you could use it for recording, onstage, whatever you want. It's not the same as hearing the amp in the room, however - you have to think of it as the "miked amp" sound.

The only Kemper models are the powered and unpowered. Just depends if you want a power amp or not. I use the unpowered version with an in-ear system and it sounds amazing. If you're playing anywhere with a decent PA, I think you're fine with no cab onstage. You could also use a powered monitor or "FRFR" cab (full range/full response) if you want to move air onstage.