The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions on a Used Mullen Royal Precision
Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 11:53 pm    

Hi All, This is my first post here.
I’ve been playing for a year and I’m thinking about getting a new (used) guitar. I currently have a Zum Stage One and it has served me well.
I just wanted to get some opinions on this guitar and also your thoughts on moving from an S-10 to an SD-10. I obviously can’t try it out in person, but the seller has a 7 day return policy, with a 12% restock fee plus shipping. Potentially the most expensive demo ever : (
Here’s the guitar, thanks for your time!
https://reverb.com/item/13638208-mullen-royal-precision-sd10-red-pedal-steel-guitar-with-hard-case

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 2:44 am    

Hello Matt, in my opinion, you’re not gonna do any disservice to yourself by giving that Mullen a go. This may/or may not be the same exact guitar, but if it were...? https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=333973
Best to ya!

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 3:32 am    

Can't go wrong with a Mullen. I've been playing the same one since 09.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 4:45 am    

I've had a Mullen G2 for a little over a month, replacing an old MSA. I am so happy you could hardly even believe it. It is a wonderful instrument, to play and to hear.

--Al Evans

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 5:12 am    

Great guitar, and my favorite color of mica.

The company is still in business, parts are available, and they're an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 5:15 am    

I have been playing mullen guitars from 1994 to present they are far out the best I've ever played I have owned other brands but have stayed with mullen I currently own 2 sd10 royal precision and a discovery 1 sd10 stats set up in church and the other 2 or for road work I see no difference in the ad 10 from the s10

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 6:38 am    

I just moved to a Mullen SD12 Royal Precision back in November. It is a great guitar.

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 6:39 am    

I don't feel like you could go wrong with that guitar. They are built to last so I am sure there would be no worries. Let me know if I can help in any way. We are always here.
(970) 664-2518
sales@mullenguitars.com
www.mullenguitars.com

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 6:46 am    

There you go. The main man at Mullen taking the time to answer. Only a few of the builders take the time to get involved. This is how they are with customer service.

You will never regret getting a Mullen.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 7:43 am    

Go for it. The guitar shown is a 2004 model, the same year as I just purchased from Mickey Adams. This guitar should play exactly the same as a brand new one, that is if no one messed with it and I see no reason why they would, as they are set up meticulously from the factory. I ordered some extra changer rods from Mullen so I could split tune strings 6, 5 & 10. These guitars have a soft and very responsive pedal and knee lever action and are very accurate. I also own a G2 and have no problem playing either. I did change the pad on mine and the leg feet which were becoming a bit loose. Mullen will supply you with anything you need in a very prompt efficient manner, they are a top notch company. The guitar looks good from the pictures, just a little oxidation on the changer rods which can be polished up easily if it bothers you. Best wishes.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:13 am    

From a total amateur, just off the cuff from what I read over the years, it is probably a great guitar.

"......and also your thoughts on moving from an S-10 to an SD-10."
Only one person addressed this.

I personally like the S10, but that is what I was used to when I ordered my Carter back in 2001.
There is no shortage of SD10 players for whatever reason, so it must not be a major detriment for most people.

I see you live in California, but don't know where.
My gut tells me that it's always best to lay your hands on a guitar before you buy it.
Steel shops are few and far between, though.
In So Cal, Jim Palenscar is in Oceanside.
If you are close, you may want to deal that way, in person, so you can try before you buy.
You can also cruise the local Craigslist.
If you are not dead set on a Mullen, something will pop up.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:40 am    

Looks good to me. You will probably love the pad and wonder how you ever got along without it. Just a curiousity. I personally never heard the term, Mullen Truetone? RP

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:53 am    

I would grab that in a heartbeat.. Nice guitar that will last a lifetime,, and its really well priced...You can't buy anything better for the price, thats for sure.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 11:13 am    

Edward Rhea wrote:
Hello Matt, in my opinion, you’re not gonna do any disservice to yourself by giving that Mullen a go. This may/or may not be the same exact guitar, but if it were...? https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=333973
Best to ya!

Thanks Edward,
That is the same guitar/seller. It's very tempting.

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 11:26 am    

ajm wrote:
From a total amateur, just off the cuff from what I read over the years, it is probably a great guitar.

"......and also your thoughts on moving from an S-10 to an SD-10."
Only one person addressed this.

I personally like the S10, but that is what I was used to when I ordered my Carter back in 2001.
There is no shortage of SD10 players for whatever reason, so it must not be a major detriment for most people.

I see you live in California, but don't know where.
My gut tells me that it's always best to lay your hands on a guitar before you buy it.
Steel shops are few and far between, though.
In So Cal, Jim Palenscar is in Oceanside.
If you are close, you may want to deal that way, in person, so you can try before you buy.
You can also cruise the local Craigslist.
If you are not dead set on a Mullen, something will pop up.

Thanks ajm,
I agree about trying before buying,unfortunately with steel guitar it's not always possible. Too bad there's not a "Steel" Guitar Center in every city Wink
I am also in Los Angeles and have spoken to Jim recently.I would really like to go down there and try an SD-10 to see what it feels like.

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 11:36 am    

Thanks for all the replies!
Everything I've ever read about Mullen guitars was restated here. Excellent quality, playability, tone, customer service etc. This is the only reason I'm considering buying sight unseen. The only other thing concerning me is going from an S-10 to a SD-10 and dealing with the ergonomics of the double body and pad (and the extra weight @ 54 lbs.)
Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts on this!

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 12:08 pm    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Looks good to me. You will probably love the pad and wonder how you ever got along without it. Just a curiousity. I personally never heard the term, Mullen Truetone? RP

Yes I noticed that on the ad. That is the Mullen Single coil and not a True Tone pickup. True Tone uses the same material as we do for the tops, maybe that is where the confusion is.

Matt if you decide you cannot get used to a pad then check out the Discovery model. Completely professional model on a single frame. Wink

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 12:11 pm    

Matt if you decide you cannot get used to a pad then check out the Discovery model. Completely professional model on a single frame. Wink[/quote]

Thanks Mike, I'll take a look at The Discovery.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 1:18 pm    

You can’t go wrongwith a Mullen. U could alway put a very thin pad on back remove the pillow looking pad on it. If your use to s10 u might want too remove pad all together. Plug pad screw holes. This flat deck would make a nice helicopter pad. The extra weight An space is a waste You don’t need the training wheels go for a single 10. Jim Palenscar has a nice small Otrack s10 at his shop in Oceanside I would love too have. 😀

Last edited by Johnie King on 25 Jul 2018 1:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 1:20 pm    

Johnie King wrote:
You can’t go wrong with Mikes nice Mullen he super good man too deal with plus it’s priced too sell.

Thanks Johnie, that's good to know.

Last edited by Matt Waldrum on 26 Jul 2018 11:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 1:48 pm    

Encore is Dug back too taking orders if so that would be cool choice. Totally pro steel 3 0ver 3 changer they get good reviews an bring more used than new. So u actually get paid to play

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 1:50 pm    

They are a nice guitar. I had a Mullen RP. It was blue with 8&9. Played great sounded great. I had it for sale on here with a starting price of 3500. Nobody bit. I dropped it to 3000 and still no response. I finally ended up selling it for 2500 and the guy came and got it. To me I more or less gave it away. So keeping that in mind I will look for a different brand next time. The guitar was in great shape with 705's and I also had the stock single coils for it. So... either they aren't that valuable or... you are expected to give your stuff away on here.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 1:50 pm    

They are a nice guitar. I had a Mullen RP. It was blue with 8&9. Played great sounded great. I had it for sale on here with a starting price of 3500. Nobody bit. I dropped it to 3000 and still no response. I finally ended up selling it for 2500 and the guy came and got it. To me I more or less gave it away. So keeping that in mind I will look for a different brand next time. The guitar was in great shape with 705's and I also had the stock single coils for it. So... either they aren't that valuable or... you are expected to give your stuff away on here.

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 2:02 pm    

Johnie King wrote:
Encore is Dug back too taking orders if so that would be cool choice. Totally pro steel 3 0ver 3 changer they get good reviews an bring more used than new. So u actually get paid to play

I've got Doug's Stage One and I like it. Is the Encore a big step up from that?

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 2:44 pm    

Edward Rhea wrote:
Best to ya!

That sure does look like the same guitar.