The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alternate gauge for third string.
Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 3:56 pm    

Is it possible to gauge the third string up ever so slightly? I've been having trouble keeping mine from breaking. As of recently I've been able to keep one on and tuned for a little while, but eventually it snaps at the peghead. It's a GFI Expo. Roller and tuning peg have been examined for burrs etc.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 4:12 pm    

Third string gauges most used are .011, .0115 and .012.
Wind 6 or more turns on the peg, and wind the string away from the hole.

Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 5:04 pm    

Could I get away with jumping an 11 to a 12?

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 5:45 pm    

I use only .011 now. I have used a .010 at times. I like the .011 better.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 5:47 pm    

Check the tuning peg for burrs or rough spots. I ended up replacing my 3rd string tuner. The peg had a rough spot on the hole. I tried smoothing it off but it did not work out.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 6:22 pm    

Only way to find out if your Expo can handle a .012 as 3d, is to test. You must adjust the raise to "A" with some care, as it will be pretty close to the limit for a .012.

FWIW: I use .0115 as 3d on all my PSGs, including an Ultra (but it is keyless so the total tension isn't as high as on a keyed PSG).

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 6:36 pm    

Most all modern pedal steels will tolerate a .012 ga. string for the hi G#/A 3rd string. I've used it on many different guitars for years.

Whether or not it will affect your rate of string breakage is another question.

I'll relate to you what I've done in this case, that is if the breakage rate is unusual. Snapping a 3rd every few hours of playing is considered normal. If it's breaking after just a couple hours, then you may have a problem. You say it's at the key head, so it would be a pretty simple deal to swap the 3rd string machine with another one on that same side, say maybe the 1st or 2nd. That's what I've done in the past and what I would try here.

Sometimes things just happen that are not always obvious to the naked eye. You have nothing to lose by swapping out a couple machines, except for time and a couple strings, and it may help you to pinpoint your problem.

That is if the string is breaking right at the post. If it's breaking further up between the post and the roller nut, I would suspect faulty strings.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 7:13 pm    

Wrap that pup a good 10 wraps around the peg will slow down breakage immensely, and cover that hole with other wraps so the last winding is layered over other string wire as a cushion, the 3rd seems to be the most volatile string when it comes to wraps, it should last a good 6 nights of 4 hours a night of pedaling, maybe more.

Last edited by Larry Bressington on 23 Jul 2018 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 7:15 pm    

FWIW keyed vs keyless makes no difference if the scale length is the same.

Two strings of the same composition tuned to the same pitch at the same scale length can have any length of string beyond the nut and saddle without any difference in tension. This has been discussed to death for years on guitar forums and proven by physics.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 8:28 pm    

Neal Vosberg wrote:
Could I get away with jumping an 11 to a 12?

Yes, you can try it, but the pedal will feel a little stiffer. You'll also have to back off the tuning nut slightly, as a heavier gauge string requires less travel.

And, oh yes, one other thing. The heavier string will " sting" you more when it breaks. Mr. Green

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 8:37 pm     Alternate gauge for the third string

If you have a problem with the 3rd string breaking at the Peg Head. I believe you have a burr on the tuner shaft, It is usually on the edge of cross hole. Cut the string long enough to get enough wraps of string until the final wrap is on the smooth shaft itself, With no contact with the cross hole.

Bad strings usually break where they come off the changer finger. I once bought 12 .011 spare strings. They would break at the changer finger. They actually broke into 3 pieces, The long string, The short ball section and a strange V shaped sliver.

I short wrapped one on stage when I had a 3rd string break, The next day the string broke at the Key head and wrapped over my left hand and bar. It went into my right hand ring finger and stuck in the bone. Ouch!!! Made sure I made enough wraps to get it off the cross hole. Good Luck, Protect your eyes in this problem.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 8:53 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
FWIW keyed vs keyless makes no difference if the scale length is the same.
You're right. My mistake.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 3:01 am    

My experience with string breakage re: .011 vs .012 is basically no difference. I've used 12's for many years and prefer the sound (but not a HUGE difference). Whatever vulnerability the extra string tension presents is offset by the strength of the extra mass. It's a wash.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 4:35 am    

I’ve had that problem occur on several new guitars of differing brands. I use .011 strings with the many wraps as described above. What I do is work on the hole in the tuner with a Dremmel and a small round burr to get the sharp edge rounded. It has always worked for me. I rarely break a 3rd string between string changes and I hate changing strings so I usually go too long. Normally the turner is cutting it if breaks at that end. It usually breaks at the changer if it’s fatigue.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 5:14 am     Psg

I've been using a .012 for years and don't remember ever breaking one. I use the (LSS)Lively Steel Strings and nothing else. I use more wraps on the High G# than any other string.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 5:36 am     Alternate string gauges

I have used . .010,.011, .0115, and .012. When I was in Jeff Newmans classes in the early 80's, he used an .012. His thinking was the larger diameter would give a thicker sound and wouldn't break as easy since they were larger and stronger. I never convinced myself about the breakage issue. Seemed to me because of the larger size you would have to tune them tighter, thus loosing any advantage concerning breakage. I tried .010's and thought they were just too thin sounding. I have settled on .0115 for several years now and am happy.

My experience has been the brand of strings you use or a run of bad strings is the biggest cause of breakage.. To find out if you have a string issue or something else, put Live Steel strings on. If they break, you have another problem. Live Steel strings don't break

Last edited by George Kimery on 24 Jul 2018 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 6:46 am     0.012 will work on some steels

Hi Neal,
0.012 will work on some steels.
I had a steel in the past, Sho Bud Crossover that broke 0.011 too often.
Someone told me to try a 0.012 and that surprised me, but he said it would be "Stronger"...
Well that did work and the breakage stopped. Also the tone was better.
Hope that is a help to you?
Andy Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 7:35 am    

I really prefer a .012 string.
It has a fuller, richer tone.
I think your string breakage will vary with the brand of strings you are using.
I have Live Steel strings on my guitar now and I have yet to break a string and they have been on the guitar for quite a while.
Erv

Raymond Lester

New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 12:50 pm    

I suspect you may have a problem on the guitar. I have a keyed and keyless Ultra's and don't have a problem breaking any strings.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 1:55 am    

I bought a set of the "Paul Franklin" D'Addarios - NYXL 12/38. They come with a .012 third string. I'm not sure what they put on at the factory but, the third seems pretty thin - and sounds a little thin as well. I'm going to put them on when I feel I've worn out the originals. I always liked the sound of heavier strings on 6 string and they broke a lot less for sure.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 3:45 am    

I went from .011" to .012" several years ago and was pleasantly surprised that breakage was no more of an issue - less of an issue, if anything.

I do like the relative 'fatness' of the thicker string, both tonally and physically. I've had no issues with any steels I've had since I made the switch - Emmons, Carter, JCH or my Encore.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 6:55 am    

I tried going from an .011 to a .012 on my Carter D10. I use Live Steel Strings. The first one I put on lasted probably 3 weeks or a little longer. I went to replace it to prevent breakage on stage, and the strings (3 of them) I tried to put on broke before they got up to pitch. I went to .0115's and have no issues. I did like the.012 on the 3rd though. Might give it a go on my Mullen.

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 7:00 am    

I also use Live Steel strings with the 011.5 and seldom ever break any strings.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:55 am    

I have always found the 0115 a good compromise.. Fatter sound than the 011, not as much tension as .012... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 10:34 am    

I believe Paul Franklin uses the .012 for his 3rd and the new D'Addario NYXL sets PF "custom" sets are .012. Should be fine but a little tweaking may be needed in most cases.