The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Finally Got One
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2018 11:33 pm    

I think the people we personally love to hear most must have some points within their personality that registers with aspects of our personalities. If you could measurably test the happy/sad element, how wide can they vary between the two, the depth of their chops (center frequency? bandwidth? boost/cut?)- how much do they know of tricks, do those tricks work on me... (by "tricks" I just mean "melody-generating ideas", not to disparage them; I live on them things).

I'm sure that certain of those elements of my fave's innards correspond with mine. The stuff has to come from somewhere. Spookier yet, at my age of 60, having rabidly consumed music products manufactured by these people for most of that time, they have actually created certain biochemical parts of me - the Jerry Gland? the Mahavishnu Dendrites? And while speed may separate the boys from the men, surely ballads separate the men from the beasts. One thing's for sure, EVERYone I love could play SLOW to great effect.

BUT: it may also be an A-ffect. In quite a pile of musician's biographies and interviews, they discuss coming off the stage personally disappointed in a performance, meanwhile people in the audience were clunking around foaming at every orifice and the show tapes showed magic at work. And, but, the opposite happened just as often - or more - the musicians floated off the stage all roses 'n' love-beamy over the killer show, but the audience, and the tapes, didn't hear that. Crying or Very sad

Executing that particular batch of magic on-call is real tricky stuff, as the musicians who (try to) perform it will tell you AND as you (try to) do it yourself. I mean, if you really knew exactly which bits of melody and motion and instrumental narrative hosed 'em down - you could bottle that and sell it for a pretty penny.

Quote:
We have the same feelings when we play, but we have to stop short of crying so we don't short out the guitar and electrocute ourselves!

In all seriousness - just LOOK at what so often happens to the careers, mental health and lives of those musicians who become DEPENDED UPON to bring the magic to each and every musical situation. If the "IT" just isn't there that night, yet you're getting paid - you will learn to play the imitation of "IT." If/And your fake "IT" then works the same upon your audience - uh-oh.

"ORIFICE-FOAM WAVES'r UP, MOONDOGGIE!"

"They not SHARKS in there, 'Doggie, they's just a-dolphins swimming on their sides..." Crying or Very sad

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2018 6:17 am    

Hey Chris T! What a session that must have been!

Cheers, Chris/Providence