The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nylon tuning nuts very stiff
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 5:43 am    

When these nuts are so hard to turn is it ok to apply some grease?

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 6:08 am    

Refer to “Problem with tuning nut” posted by Jorge Fragoso down the page a bit.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 11:07 am    

What i do with mine Brian is use a 1/4 drive socket on an electric screwdriver, run them up and back a few times, they are tight when new it seems if you are cutting new thread into them.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 8:56 am    

Larry Bressington wrote:
What i do with mine Brian is use a 1/4 drive socket on an electric screwdriver, run them up and back a few times, they are tight when new it seems if you are cutting new thread into them.

I might need to try that as well. The nuts on my new Mullen are super tight and I can barely adjust them.

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2018 1:22 pm    

They might be turning on the pull rod past the threads. I was able to find some nylon tube spacers at a hobby shop that are about 1/2 to 1/8" long and wide enough to fit around the end of the rod. You may have to cut to size. Place these on the threaded rod first, then attach the tuning nuts. They allow the nut to just turn on the threaded part, no farther. I was also able to find some brass tubing that does the same thing, but you'll need to cut a piece the right size, usually about 1/8". This will back the hex nut off just enough to turn on the threads. Be sure these are cut flat or tuning may not be accurate.

Not all pull rods protrude past the changer exactly the same length. They should, but don't count on it. When you've done this some of the hex nut may protrude past the end plate. I recommend trimming the hex nuts all the same length, flush with the end plate. You don't want the hex nuts and pull rods pushing agains the changer or bending as you place the guitar in the case.

The only thing worse than the nuts being too tight is them being too loose. I had one strip out during a gig on the #5 B string (A pedal raise). I had to get creative and fast!