The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Couple of Sho Bud rack and barrel questions
Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 5:20 pm    

Most of my rod tuning socket heads have small springs behind them. Are these necessary? If so, where would I get them? I suppose I would need the proper name for them.
Also, Skip Edwards recommended:
“Your RKR should drop the 2nd string a whole tone, and with another rod & barrel should also drop the 9th string to C#. What happens then is you learn to feel where the 9th string kicks in, and that serves as a half stop where the 2nd string is at halfway down (D).”

I like the sound of that, so how do I get the timing right to engage the 9th string when the 2nd hits D?
Thanks for your help and patience while I learn!
Shane

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 7:09 pm    

Shane, I for one, with 50 years of experience, have never seen those springs used.
My answer on your timing the R/K/R is that there is a Shobud type,feel stop available from PSG parts that will allow you to feel that stop. But I will say I've lived without dropping the 2nd string a whole step, but rather a half step, my whole life. Happy pickin'. RP

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 9:48 pm    

Shane, the simplest way to start going about it is to...
1. Make sure the KL has enough travel for the 2nd & 9th strings to reach their desired pitches - usually by adjusting the stop screw for that KL a little.
2. Place the 9th string barrel at the spot on it's rod (tight up against the rack) where the 2nd string hits the D note.

Then you can tweak that barrel a bit if you need to... it's really low-tech, but somehow it just seems to work.

I've also never seen those springs on the ends of the rods, either.

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 3:46 am    

Awesome. I’ll give it a shot!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 5:59 am    

I've never had a rack and barrel Sho~Bud but on the Sho~Buds I've had, I've gotten the 1/2 stop on the second string by varying the gauge of the string so when you felt the 9th string, the 1/2 stop was spot on.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 7:08 am    

I too have never seen springs there, but I wonder if they were added in an attempt to even the pulls of two (or more) strings on one pedal or lever. Seems like it might accomplish that, but it might also mess with the function of the barrel at the other end of the rod, having its own spring and all.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 1:15 pm    

I am by no means a ShoBud expert. Actually far from it. I have a ShoBud with barrels and two whole pullers. It doesn’t have springs behind the tuning nuts, but I think this is an addition that could be a benefit. As the barrel is screwed in, the rod becomes shorter and leaves some extra slack in the rod. To combat this, the barrel would have to be moved to a different position to remove the slack. I wonder if that is the purpose of the springs? Just a thought. I could be totally off base but that would be my best guest.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 7:27 pm    

Shane, rack & barrel half-stop is pretty straight forward. It uses a collar with a set screw on a rod, and a spring that stops against a small bracket. The feel-stop point is set by positioning the collar. Michael (PSG Parts) can probably help you.

Free take-up in the undercarriage is important. The springs behind your socket heads tend to remove that slack. Without it you'll be chasing your tail trying to tune changes.

The pull rods should have a fiber washer that sits between the socket head and the changer finger. That allows the socket head to turn without binding. Michael makes 'em right.

These are versatile, great sounding guitars. Pictures?

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 10:17 pm    

I know that five (soon to be seven) of the rods on this one were made by Michael. Maybe the only way to solve the mystery of the springs is to ask the guy that rebuilt it. I’ll try to contact him tomorrow and report back Smile

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 8:46 am    

Ok. I got up with Alex from TSG and he said that 6139s left the factory with these springs in place. I know he has rebuilt and sold a ton of these, so I definitely take him at his word.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 8:52 am    

Curious. I’ve owned two 6139s, neither had them. Has anyone else seen these on a stock 6139 (or any other rack and barrel sho bud)?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 8:57 am    

Well I have restored over 50 professionals in my time and some were untouched from factory; to completely worn...and I have NEVER seen these springs on these Barrel tuning rods. Only time I've seen these springs...were on Fingertip tuning NOT the Barrel tuning Professionals.
In reference to having them for any reason....I would say NO...as it would interfere with the feel of the pull of the finger; depending on slack and spring tension... I find that to be a big NO NO...in play-ability.
Ricky

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 9:02 am    

Never seen those springs before. There sure weren't any on mine, which I bought new.

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 1:54 pm    

Shane...Here's a thread from a few years ago about springs like yours:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=292753&highlight=

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 10:19 am    

The tricky part is that this is my first steel, so I can’t even say whether or not the pulls feel different with the springs.

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 2:36 pm    

I've been there, Shane.
Your rack-and-barrel Sho-Bud should play easily and in tune.
There's a wealth of information on how to set it up in the Forum archives. In the "Pedal Steel" section, search on "Sho-Bud" and author "Ricky Davis."
To get your guitar playing and sounding its very best, send it to Ricky.
Good luck and all the best.

PS: I don't think Alex understood your question. The springs shown in your photo are definitely NOT standard for your guitar. They are an after-market modification. You can confirm this with photos in the Forum archive or with Harry or David Jackson, formerly of Sho-Bud, now of Jackson Steel Guitar.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 9:08 pm    

Those springs do NOT belong there!!!
PRR