The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The tape don't lie
Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 2:38 pm    

Jammed with some local country players last week. One masochist recorded the whole deal and sent us copies. Painful to listen to my own playing.
One golden lesson learned: Stop playing over the vox. When she is singing, don't noodle. Lay a bassy pad underneath, OK, but stop getting in the way.
Save the licks for after the vocal line.
Oh, and less is more.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 3:09 pm    

Don't feel bad, Allan. We have all learned, or will eventually learn, this lesson in the process of applying our craft.

Recording oneself is a great way to improve...especially in a bandstand context.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 11:11 pm    

OMG Epiphany: I've been recording every gig I do for 10 years, even keeping some. I play out maybe 6 times a month (surprised I'm still married) and I always cringe when I listen back. Yeah, it helps a lot, but it's taking way too long to make me hear myself from the audience while I'm on the bandstand. You teachers out there: put a dog shock collar on your students, get them on the bandstand, and sit at a table in the front with a beer and the shocker remote control. We'd get better a lot faster.
P.S. I played a double bill with another band last night who also had a steel player (unusual!), and we both apologized to each other IN ADVAVCE for overplaying!! I got a kick out of that.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 5:04 am     Re: The tape don't lie

Allan Haley wrote:
...One masochist recorded the whole deal and sent us copies. Painful to listen to my own playing.

The tape don't lie, but your ears do. I used to record myself (as a singer/songwriter) obsessively every time I played out. I always sucked. Now, I listen, and it's not so bad. It's like I get better as the recording gets older. Very Happy

--Al Evans