The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Battery Operated amps for lapsteel
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 6:02 am    

I don't think this topic has been discussed in a few years and I assume there are some new models on the market. What is the latest and greatest in the battery operated amps for lap steel. I've been thinking of taking my lap steel to the local acoustic jam and there would be no place to plug in.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 8:03 am     Roland

Roland Street Series is a reliable - long battery life - plenty of efx gain volume knobs.

If you look closely at the amp specs , there are some models now with 25 and 50 watt versions. In Stereo, I believe.

Go for the Gusto and get the largest speakers and watts. Many of these little gems are only 5 watts - not really enough for a sit-in jam with others.
YouTube Channel

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 8:06 am    

I know Vox and Roland have some decent models from around $100 up, usually 3-5W. I'm not sure how they sound, probably okay at least, but the idea is less about getting the absolute best tone and more about getting anything at all in a situation where you can't plug in.

I've only messed with some of the cheap ones (Fender, Danelectro), more like toys, but they did sound cool. Some of them you can clip onto your belt. Someone gave me the little Honeytone and it is fun, but not really a serious amp.

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 8:38 am    

Roland Mobile Cube works well for me. It's light and small but gets surprisingly loud. Not a lot of frills but a sweet sounding clean channel + reverb which is all I really need.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 9:50 am    

Einar, I listened to your You tube posts.......very nice playing. Very Happy

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 10:13 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_1J1DfdJN8&t=22s

I have the plug-in version of this amp. Great for acoustic,
dobro, lap and even pedal (great practise amp). Mic channel, line out, nice reverb, etc.
The only thing you might want extra is a blues driver pedal, depending on what you're doing. Fishman makes good stuff IMO.

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 10:50 am    

I believe Bobby Ingano performs with a Roland Mobil Cube and mics it into the PA system. Alan Akaka uses a Yamaha THR10. Both of these have 1 channel with tone control, some effects, and will fit in a suitcase for travel. I have a Roland Cube Street, that has 2 channels with independent controls; that can be convenient, and you can also use it as a stage monitor speaker in a PA system. But I've found that I get the best steel guitar tone & adequate volume from my Yamaha THR10. It actually has enough volume to play with 12 un-amplified ukuleles, an amplified bass, and an amplified lead vocalist in a large living room, if it's elevated a few feet above the floor. I like having the pre-set buttons too. If I need more volume, I mic the amp into the PA system with a Shur SM57. Much better tone than going thru a DI box to the PA.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 12:34 pm    

I bought a Blackstar Fly to fit in a carry on ... its pretty cool ... and sounds big ... for the price

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstar-FLY3-Battery-Powered-Amplifier/dp/B00PDJXGIG

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 12:48 pm    

Yikes that is cheap and small rick. Don't guess there are any clips of you playing through it?

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 3:40 pm    

Moved to Electronics from Steel Without Pedals.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 5:06 pm    

Heres one ... https://soundcloud.com/rick-aiello-56934484/kings-serenade

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 6:02 pm    

that sounds great Rick. Was that just mic'd ? nice

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 3:46 am    

Yep, just a mic pluged into my cell phone ...

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 6:34 pm    

pignose makes a larger amp battery powered. hog 30. its got plenty of volume.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 2:54 pm    

I have the Blackstar Fly, with the "extension cabinet". Works great! I wish it had digital reverb instead of echo, but you can kind of approximate a reverby sound. I usually set the master on full and use gain to adjust the volume (since typically we steelers are after a somewhat cleaner tone).

It's not a gigging amp at all but I'm planning to stow it in some luggage (along with a short scale lap steel that fits diagonally in my suitcase) to tinker with next year while travelling...

Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 1:53 pm    

Rick, That is a beautiful performance with very authentic tone. Were you playing one of your aluminum solid body steels?

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 3:35 pm    

Where is a Pig Nose when you need a battery powered amp?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 5:46 pm    

+1 on Mobile Cube... not really cheap, at 180$... but you get stereo reverb and portability. You might find the acoustic version cheaper... you don't need all that fuzz stuff etc. MC is my go-to practice amp... it has a mic stand/camera tripod adapter too, a 9v adapter fits it, although you'll want 2A adapter for full output.

If you can do without delay, I believe the Mobile AC is the same thing for 2/3 the price... check that one out too.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 4:09 am     Peavey

I play through a cheap Chinese thing....hopeless over 3/4 volume. This is my next portable amp
https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/705/93630

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 5:27 am    

I have both a Micro Cube and a Cube Street (which is not really a cube, but a trapezoid). I like 'em both. The Street is basically two Micros side-by-side in the same weirdly-shaped cabinet, giving it two separate channels. One channel has the same EQ and effects as the Micro. The other channel lacks the effects, but gains an XLR input.

I just returned from a mountain camping trip. I brought along the Micro for a bassist to play his P-Bass through, in lieu of schlepping along his full-size string bass. It performed admirably at campground volume, accompanying my flattop acoustic and a harmonica player.

What I like about the Micro is its small size, its versatility, and the fact that the batteries last a long, long time before needing replacement. Another plus is there's a gazillion of 'em out there, and they can often be obtained used for a song.