The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Pro Block 200
Eric Denmark

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 1:55 pm    

Anybody out there ever used a Quilter Pro Block 200? Thoughts?

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:52 pm    

Hi Eric,

I use one in my "ultra light" rig, which consists of:

1) Quilter Pro Block 200
2) Mojotone Lite Ext Cab with Telonics 12" neo

I think they're great. Pretty similar to the Steelaire imho, although it lacks the EQ configurability of the later. You could always put an EQ in the loop I suppose.

FWIW, I also use it for jazz guitar, where it's stellar. Also sounds great as a pedal platform for normal 6 string.

While I do dig the Pro Block 200, I prefer my 72' Twin Reverb with a single TT speaker.

Pros:

- Lightweight
- Powerful
- DI
- Sounds good

Cons:

- Reverb is ok for live work, but isn't as compelling as my Twin's reverb or something from Strymon or a rack unit
- Lack of EQ. Not an issue for me, but I do notice I can't quite get the voicing to sound as nuanced as the Steelaire with the single EQ curve control
- Speaker choice seems to matter more than with other amps I've worked with.

I've had mine for a few years now and I can't imagine a scenario where i'd part with it. Again, I prefer my Twin, and I'll soon be experimenting with a Kemper for live use. But for the odd gig where I'm playing pedal and need a very light load-in, or doing jazz guitar, it suits the bill perfectly for me.

Eric Denmark

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:56 pm     Agreed!

Thanks so much for your input! I'm TOTALLY with you on the tube sound! My main amp is my 75 vibrolux, and I am trying to copy the tone for a smaller lightweight setup, but it's hard to do! Lol

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 7:38 pm    

I have virtually the same rigs as Josh--Pro Block and Telonics 12". I do find it terribly bright, so I have a simple capacitor tone circuit before the amp.
My preferred rig is a '65 Showman and TT12".

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 5:17 am    

I use the EHX Knockout Equalizer in-line along with a 15" Black Widow speaker cabinet. Works great for me playing steel or guitar. The equalizer gives granular control of tone that is not quite there with the on board eq.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 7:58 am    

Hey Eric,
I just recently got a Quilter Tone Block 200 that am using as a backup amp. Nice tone and a lot of power. I am using two Tommy Huff cabinets with BW 1501 speakers and two of Jay Ganz's Straight Ahead power amps. His power amps weigh less than a pound and put out 500 watts of clean power. The are about the size of two delay pedals. Check them out. My Quilter is clean, but larger and a little heavier.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 5:33 pm    

I run the Pro Block into a 15" Sica Speaker. I absolutely love the Charleton-like tone of this amp for playing classic country. It is a tone I've always sought after and thought I would only find from a tube amp.

Despite what others have said I really love the reverb on the unit...more so than the spring reverb on my tube amp and more than my holy grail pedal. I'm not sure what it is, but something about this reverb makes it especially fun to play music.

Another thing I love is the gain/limiter interaction. The gain gets pretty crunchy, which is nice to have onboard. You can also dial back the crunch but keep the driven sound and sustain with the limiter. The two dials together really allow you to fine tune your breakup.

The amp lacks low end for sure. The low grabs on E9 lack the punch and clarity you can get with other steel amps and bass heads. For months I kept the midrange scoop all the way dialed to the left and the high cut all the way to the right, thinking that would give me the most low end. Not so - putting the tri-Q to flat and the high cut all the way to the right gives you the most bass.

If I had the money for the Steelaire I'd get one. Seems like it would be all the things I love about the Pro Block with the added EQ control and some extra reverb knobs.