The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TubeFex lost Newman Pre-sets
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 11:03 am    

OK. I had a power surge or fumble fingers not sure which but my Tubefex has reset to factory. All the user presets are gone.

I don't have a cache card and I would rather not program the settings manually. I'm good with computers I worked in IT for 20+ years and I know Sysex to some degree. I've patched Synths before using Sysex.

I have some Midi cables somewhere and a computer card with a midi connection. My problem is I don't have a Sysex file for the Newman presets.

Is there someone that can do a Sysex dump of their Tubefex and get me a file or point me to some place that does?

Maybe you know another easier way? Where can I get a cache card or borrow one?

All efforts will be greatly appreciated.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 2:10 pm    

Best option is a cache card. I had MIDI-OX and tried to dump my Transtube Fex user programs to a PC and never was successful.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 2:14 pm    

Jack what did you find difficult about it? I've modified and dumped/loaded to mostly Korg Synths. It's not very intuitive but can be figured out.

I've had a lot of experience upgraded and loading firmware on various firewalls and switches when I worked IT. And yes I have bricked a device or two in those years.

Do you know anyone that sells the cache cards now or is used the only option.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 2:52 am    

I don't remember much, its been 15+ years ago. I've used MIDI-OX for other MIDI operations and no problems.

A comment, I found the Newman Profex II programs sorely lacking with my Transtube Fex. They don't use the analog preamp and that is the big plus with the Tube or Transtube units. Adding the "TB" to the Newman programs I found also was not really very good and they had to be deeply modified since they were designed with EQ already in them.

I wound up using my own programs developed around the analog preamp (TB).

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 4:37 am    

I purchased this Tubefex because I couldn't find a rack mounted effects unit with this level of versatility at such a reasonable price.

I had an old Profex II and I eventually sold it because I wanted to go back to a simple amp and one stomp box setup.

I have the same inclination to go with my own presets based on the TB. Having your Profex II Newman list of presets gives me an idea of where to start. I'm going to program each one individually and mark the ones I like the idea of and modify them with the TB front end to get the sound that I like.

I'm still going to attempt a sysex dump so I can back up my own presets.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 5:23 am     Roland 512K RAM cartridge

Ollie, as far as I know, Roland still offers a RAM cartridge that you can purchase for saving the Jeff Newman presets. Here is a link to a company called Voice Crystal;
http://www.voicecrystal.com/sndcards.htm

If you will send it to Peavey, we can download the JN presets for you. Or, I believe that this download is on the Forum.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:58 am    

Voice Chrystal cards should work. They sell blank ones. In the 80's - 90's, I owned a Roland D50 synth. It used the same card as my Profex 2.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 7:11 am    

I really don’t want to spend $100.00 + on a card. But looks like I’ll need to if I want a backup while on a gig. It would be a real hassle to pull out a laptop to reload a pre-set.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 7:17 am    

You might want to check keyboard forums. You might find these used on there.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 10:12 am    

Great idea Richard. Thanks.