The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1950's/1960's Kay Swingmaster archtop-project $250
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 4:02 pm    

Thinline archtop, tobacco sunburst- original chip board case... case is in kind of in crappy condition..

2 "Kleenex Box" pickups..
This guitar needs some work, and should only be purchased by someone that knows how to repair guitars properly.. The tuner posts are missing most of the ferrules, and one tuner is missing the post , gear and screw... might be better off simply putting decent replacements tuners in...

The output jack needs to be put back on the guitar.. The wires corroded off at some point, and the output jack was removed.. I tested the pickups, and both work fine, as does the 3 way switch...

Pick guard is missing, as are the strap buttons.. Nice Repro guards are on ebay for cheap..

Neck has a good size bow in it, and its past the stage where a truss rod adjustment will pull it straight,.. It needs to be done by a luthier or by someone that knows how to straighten a neck the right way... Original bridge and tailpiece are intact... Body is in pretty nice shape, does have some lacquer checking and paint flaking off in spots. Has very cool checkerboard binding on body--
nice big rectangular block markers in fretboard.. $250 FIRM..... The pickups alone fetch $175 to $200 each on ebay all day long, ... 2 Kleenex Box Kay pickups just sold on ebay for $400 + shipping... I would rather not part the guitar out.
First $250 firm + shipping gets it.. Clean , functional Kay Swingmasters go for $800 for the 2 pickup edition up to $1300 for the 3 pickup models... This is an estate sale find, and other than what I posted, I don't know much about it..Bow in neck is not something I can fix myself, but maybe someone else out there can,, Its a very cool old single cut thinline archtop for someone that can get her up and running.. Most of the work is very minor, just some soldering and getting the tuning machines fixed up or replaced.. The neck dip is the biggest issue, and the reason I am selling it so low..bob

Here's my new email address..
bulletbob@protonmail.com

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 4:55 pm    

send me a pic of it bob. i have fixed several of these. the neck is no problem for me.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 3:40 pm    

I took a bunch of pics but this was all i could import.. The camera is ancient, and I think the card is full...

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 15 Jul 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 11:42 am    

If anyone is interested, I will sell the body,neck and case for $ 100 shipped.. west coast about $25 more..
The pickups are very valuable and although I hate to part the guitar out, I must remove them and sell them separately. Last set on ebay sold for $400 +shipping.
I can't sell the entire guitar for $150 because it has a warped neck, when the pickups sell for $150 each,, minimum.. Neck is quite bad, needs pro repair, but the body is pretty nice, and would make a nice unique semi hollow guitar with a replacement neck and pickups... If anyone is local, $60 takes it away... bob

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 8:40 pm    

if the K is still on the headstock (there are several different Kay co logos used. since there is no pic of it, may just be a letter K up there.... and there are no breaks in the headstock and the neck has an adjustable truss rod in it and the truss rod cover might have a pic of a music stand on it and the binding should be a checked pattern...i will take it for $100 shipped and you can sell those pickups. just leave the pots, switch and knobs and all the hardware on it. you can clip the wires right at the pots if you want. release the tension on the strings and pack it good. seems like these later Kay swingmasters were bolt on necks. three bolts? let me know via email if you want. for a C note....dont worry about me sending it back...Smile

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 9:06 am    

Bill,, there is a script K on the headstock in gold paint..I have seen a bunch of them like that and some badged ones as well.. Truss rod cover has the word KAY in block letters framed in a little music stand.. Also pretty common on old Kays...
I would be happy to ship it to you for $100, but I must be 100% honest.. that neck is NOT going to be repaired with a truss rod adjustment.. The rod works and is maxed out.. The neck has a big dip, and is twisted as well.. Not sure its salvagable by even a very good a hobbyist... Maybe a really good top of the line luthier that restores basket case necks can do it. Looks to me like it needs the board removed and neck steamed and planed... Not sure. All I know for certain is its beyond what I can deal with...

I'll leave it up to you, no worries either way... I was thinking about putting a cheap neck on it, and getting it playing great since the electronics and body are good, but with a different neck, its still only a $350 guitar.. This is simply one of those deals where the pickups and surrounds are worth more removed than they are on the guitar.... Let me know.. bob

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 9:21 am    

bobby. i have refretted hundreds of guitars. i have never found one that i could not repair. now if you are telling me that you can stick your little finger through the strings where the neck is bowed so much....thats a bad one lol, but if the strings are just off the board say 1/8+ of an inch. thats no problem. what YOU have is a guitar that is in unplayable shape and not worth much. if you say you can get $400 for those pickups???!! well after looking at the prices on the net for that particular model with just the K on the headstock...you should do that. nice thing about that model is the neck is removable. that opens a lot of possibilities for repair. usually those old kay guitars have a nice thick rosewood fingerboard. there is a lot to work with removal wise. you can straigten up a whole lot when you have a lot of fretboard to remove. listen....dont worry about what you send. for a $100 its worth it. you can sell the pickups and make you some money. i have drawers full of pick ups that will work fine on that thing. just email me your address and i will send you a check. deposit it and when it clears send the guitar. no hurry at all. not like i dont have other projects. i have some buds who play in blues bands. they like these old Kay guitars. worse comes to worse...it can be a good slide guitar! Winking look inside it with a flashlight. there should be some inked numbers in there on the back. those are production numbers stamped on during production. might be able to determine when it was made. they were made between 1961 and 1965 in that two pickup mode.. thx!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 10:07 am    

Bill.. No, my finger won't go through the warp... LOL,But a screwdriver blade will... Its beyond me, but it sounds like you are pretty much able to deal with it ok...
Not sure what I can get for the pickups, but the last set identical to mine sold for $399+shipping, without surrounds... I am including both surrounds and all the original mounting screws, and am going to list them at $300, and see what happens.. In any case, check your PM..
Send me your address, and I'll get it off to you within a few days.. Personal check is fine, I know you're not going to run off to Zimbabwe with my guitar and my money.Even if you do, have a good time, I won't come looking... bob

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 10:17 am    

checks in the mail. dont spend it all in one place. i sent you my address via PM.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2018 4:34 pm    

fret board already off the old Kay for repair. body is in good shape. i think its going to be a player again!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 4:17 am    

It went to the right guy.... Bill Check your PM...
bob