The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installed an Ebony bridge on my Rickenbacker B6
Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 3:06 am    

Over the winter I replaced the rosewood bridge on an old Harmony f-hole guitar with an ebony bridge from StewMac. I was really surprised with how much it enriched the sound.

I thought I might try something similar on my Rickenbacker B6 (T-logo, 1946 to 49). This is the one with a single piece pickup cover and tailpiece. The bakelite bridge attaches with two screws.

Luckily I found a nearby shop that has supplies for woodworkers. They sell 6 inch by ¾ inch square blanks of various hardwoods, most of which are very reasonably priced. $4 range Canadian for a piece of African Ebony.

I have only home carpentry experience. I used a table saw to cut the blank down to the basic dimensions and a Dremel oscillating saw to shape it.

The final product was bit rustic but tonally I’m really pleased with the result. It gives me a richer, more defined tone on the 4th, 5th and 6th strings. Also string volume across the strings is a more consistent.

I thought I’d share this. I know there are many much more experienced woodworkers out there. If you have the time and inclination it opens up some interesting tonal possibilities.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 4:02 am    

Ted,
I also did that to my B6 many years back.It made an incredible difference. Never had any luck finding a small enough piece of ebony until a friend ( who rebuilds old player pianos)sent me some old ebony keys from his shop stock.
Good job on the bridge...!! That stuff is hard as a rock, tends to chip, and not easy to work with.
gary
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 12:18 pm    

Hi Gary,
It's very nice to hear that someone else made the same experiment. And that they had the same result! That’s very cool that your ebony was recycled from an older instrument.
Thanks for the encouraging words. It’s an interesting wood to work with, amazingly heavy and dense... I think I might have had a bit of beginner’s luck with the woodworking Very Happy
Ted

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 4:12 pm    

Those blanks - 3/4" by 6" or so - are known as "pen turning blanks." Making wood pens is a pressing need I guess. They come in all SORTS of wood, and some really nifty swirly plastics (better suited for knobs). I snuck a brass rod in front of the bridge on an MSA Superslide for similar screech control purposes.

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 2:59 am    

Quote:
They come in all SORTS of wood

Yep, kid in a candy shop.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 5:02 pm    

I replaced the bridge on my B7 with one I machined from bronze & had chrome plated. I made it identical to the original. The bronze came from a 1 inch (bent !) prop shaft from my boat. I can't say it improved the sound any though. Maybe that Ebony has a secret ! Very Happy

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 8:44 am    

With the chrome plating that must look pretty classy! I've read that some people have had success using phosphor bronze for bridges and nuts. Melbert Guitars comes to mine. Too bad it didn't make much of a difference for you. (But that's assuming you were looking for a difference.) Smile
Ebony is very dense. And it's much heavier than some of the other blanks I picked up, for example the Birdseye Maple. Maybe these things factor into it.