The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Trap Pick-up Issues Explained (& who repairs 'em)?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 7:10 pm    

Is there any one who can explain the problems the Fender trapezoidal pickups have and why in plain English. I have seen the issues, but I don't repair pickups so I have difficulty explaining them.

Little help?

And if anyone has a hookup for suping them up, please share!

Thanks!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Last edited by Mark Helm on 12 Jul 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 7:39 pm    

I think its pretty simple. The bobbin that the coil is wrapped around is some kind of fiber/cardboard that can warp or shrink over time. Sometimes the issue is fairly minor, only resulting in the bobbin touching some of the strings resulting in rattles or maybe even deadening of strings. I think people have tried wedging things in there to keep it off the strings. In extreme cases it can cause the coil to maybe collapse or short creating output issues. Some people can rewind the pickups and repair or replace the bobbin.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 8:09 pm     Thanks, Brad

I assumed it had something to do with the fact that the pickup is wound around wax paper bobbins that shrink, but I wasn't sure.

Does anyone know of anyone who does a good job bringing these pickups back to life? I know Rick Aiello used to do it, but I don't believe he does it anymore for customers. If you know someone, please post contact info.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Einar Baldursson

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 9:40 pm    

Tom Brantley fixed mine.
http://tombrantleyrewinds.com/lap-steels-1/

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 4:19 am     Traps

Jason Lollar rebuilt mine twenty years ago and they are still perfect.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 6:32 am     Twenty Years Ago

Ah... cruel, cruel time! Indeed— 20 years ago you could get Jason Lollar to do that kinda stuff (and not too expensively). 10 years ago you could get Rick Aiello.* But is there anybody out there today who is as great as those guys? Todd Clinesmith, for sure, but I’m not certain if he does that; I’ll ask).

In the meantime: Anybody else have a pickup guy who works on traps?

*Rick Aiello’s modified trap pickup, played on a ‘50s Custom rather delightfully by the great Lee Jeffries:
https://youtu.be/-XKkSN8V-Ao

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 7:09 am     Lollar repair?

You may still want to contact Lollar and see if they are still willing to do this.
Also Lindy Fralin is excellent. He's also done wonderful work for me. Recently he rewound the pickups on my Gibson Grande Console. Plus if you call him early in the day, he often answers the phone and will talk to you. Nice guy.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 7:19 am     Lindy Fralin

Right: Lindy Fralin. Now, why didn’t I think of that?! (No speculation, please Laughing ).

Great suggestion. Thanks, Kev!

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 7:31 am    

Einar Baldursson wrote:
Tom Brantley fixed mine.
http://tombrantleyrewinds.com/lap-steels-1/

As suggested, Tom is excellent and probably the closest to you (NC). He knows his way around traps and used to work with Lindy Fralin.

Bill Flores

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2018 8:50 am     trpazoid pick up

I have had mine done by Seymour Duncan, you may call MJ at the their custom shop....but I think she has Seymour himself do them, that can take some time though.