The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GHS Boomers for steel
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 2:48 am    

A few days ago I put a set of GHS boomers on my Desert Rose pedal steel guitar,I must have bought them a few months ago they were individually wrapped in vacuum sealed plastic,The strings seemed a little light to me,I double checked the gauges and they were correct...after putting them on my guitar they sound wonderful and I was Wrong about thinking the gauges weren't correct...I'm guessing that I bought them from "Just Strings"Nickle Steel.I like the vacuum sealed packaging because it's been so humid where I live.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 8:01 pm    

boomers are simply nickel-plated roundwound strings. Those and stainless steel are the two most popular string types, followed by pure nickel wrap.

In order of brightness:

Stainless (brightest)

nickel plated

pure nickel

There are variations in core types and diameter than create differences in tension and tone. Many experienced players do not buy packaged sets, which can be very limited, and instead buy single strings - sometimes even mixing types to adjust the tone and response of individual strings.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 1:47 am    

Jim,This experienced player buys both packaged sets and individuals,I've got strings everywhere Steel guitar strings,Acoustic strings,Electric guitar strings,Bass strings everywhere.Now finding stuff is another story,I'm not very organized.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 9:05 am    

Agreed in full! The wound strings sound lots better on my rig than any other I’ve tried. “Dynamite alloy” I wonder what that means.

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 9:12 am    

I've used the GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers for 30+ years on my Teles and love them. Might be worth trying on steel.