The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  rhythm riffs
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 4:49 pm    

i've had call to play a few numbers lately that don't need fills so much as riffs that push the groove along. i'm thinking of tunes like the one below played by hank devito with emmylou harris as an example of what i'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn77ZraSZ8A

do folks have "go to"riffs they use in these kinds of tunes that they'd like to share?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 11:29 am    

Hank's probably playing some good stuff, but you really can't hear much of it in that clip. I play a ton of rhythm, mostly out of necessity - as most of the time there's no rhythm player in the band. I consider it a pretty much an unexplored area of steel playing, since most all players consider pedal steel a "lead only" instrument. I do some jazz type "comp" rhythms, rolling rhythms, and lots of piano chops, as well as some of the guitar-type patterns that Albert Lee is doing. Picked rhythms are easy on steel, but the strum types are challenging because of the blocking required. It's all good though, as long as it's done right and enhances the song. Most of the guitar players I work with are savvy enough to trade parts on the rhythm, and it adds a lot of fullness when the band is small and there's no dedicated rhythm instrument.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 7:18 pm    

Lots of nice possibilities on strings 10, 9 and 8. Check out the steel in Gram Parson's "Ooh Las Vegas", a cool and challenging riff at tempo. The guitar part on the Pretenders 'Thumbelina' lays out pretty well on steel.

Great version of Luxury Liner, thanks for posting.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 10:37 pm    

At my weekly jam night I'm the only PSG and most of the acts are voc/gtr/bass/drums playing various sorts of rock and blues classics. I try to figure out what the guitarist is doing while he's singing, then do something similar when he solos. Not why I took up PSG, but very educational (partly because no-one says what key anything's in) and my reward is the occasional solo myself. Great exploring the low strings on the uni which can unleash a lot of power Mr. Green

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 11:38 pm    

Great video link. Emmy, whew. Albert Lee, a one man wrecking crew.

I remember that on Tommy Whites DVD Hot Licks For Steel, there is a section at the end where he talks about rhythm stuff.

John