The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String set for open D roundneck conversion?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 8:29 am    

I have my uncle's old Truetone/Kay N body archtop six string that I've been pushing around for some time. The action is pretty high, so I put a raised nut on it and tuned it to open D [D A D F# A D lo to hi] so I can have an alternate tuned instrument for lap style playing.

It still has the old strings on it and they're pretty light, so I'm wanting to find a set that will work with this tuning and won't distort the neck. I'd like to find an appropriate set that will work rather than having to build a set.

I would appreciate advise from anyone who's done this on a roundneck guitar.

I've looked around online at some of the charts etc. but really haven't found anything specific for this app.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 9:28 am    

I have an old Yamaha flat top that I did the same thing to, for the same reasons, also in D tuning. I have a set of D'Addario medium (J-17s) on it and all seems well. The strings are firm enough and no apparent problems with the neck or top. I don't know how much different arch-top construction is, but that might be a place to start.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 12:08 pm    

Thanks David. Except for the first string, very similar to the EJ 42 dobro G set. I have lots of .013 spares, and a couple sets of EJ42, so I might try that.

I don't know how the archtop construction compares either. I'll have to have a look inside for bracing etc.

Thanks again.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 2:48 pm    

Jerry, I used to have an old Silvertone Flattop set up that way with the riser nut. I liked the John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Reso Set #3100 on there. If I was going to use it with a Magnetic Soundhole Pickup, I liked the Martin Bluegrass M980 Nickel strings for that. I believe that Martin may have discontinued that Set. If so, the John Pearse #3000 Nickel Set is similar but was more expensive.

HTH. Good luck in your search. Cool

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 6:45 pm    

Thanks Michael. Always good to have your input. I haven't examined the construction yet, but this old archtop's top may be stamped or possibly carved and I don't know how much stress it will stand. I will certainly check out your suggestions. I may end up going with a standard tuning medium set.

This old axe came with a mounted pickup and VT controls from the factory and the electronics work fine, so I may opt for an alloy that will work for both acoustic and electric.

I think Unc bought this guitar and 1482 Silvertone amp around the same time, late 60's.