The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marty Haggard's steel player
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 5:42 pm    

Going to see Marty Haggard in Corinth, MS this week. Does anyone know if he has a steel player in the band?

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 2:19 pm    

I'm thinking that he doesn't, but I don't know for sure.
I played steel for him in the early 90's and it was such a treat to play Merle songs with him.
He sings so much like his dad. Enjoy the show if you haven't gone already, Daniel!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 3:53 pm    

Back in 1992 a group I was working for did 4 shows with Marty Haggard here in Monroe, Michigan. Two of the shows were on New Years Eve. When we got done with our part of the show, Marty asked me where we were playing our New Years gig at that night. I told him where we were playing at and directions so about 12:30 that night Marty and his whole band showed up. After Marty showed up we parted until 6:00am. He did not have a Steel Player but he did have a fiddle player. We all played all night long. Had a great time. The first night we played the fiddle players amp took a crap so I ended up running home after a spare steel amp for him to use while they were here. It was a pretty interesting weekend and lots of fun. The club owner almost flipped out when Marty showed up. Playing behind him sounded just like his Dad.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 7:47 pm    

Went and saw the show tonight and I must say it was AWESOME!!! If Marty comes to your town, by all means go. No steel player but that in no way took away from how great it was. He had a 3 piece band and they were great. They did several western swing songs such as Cherokee Maiden and Roly Poly and absolutely nailed it on each one.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 8:25 am    

I've had the extreme pleasure of backing up Marty Haggard at a local county fair in 2015 and 2017. I believe he tours alone and uses whatever local musicians the promoter can put together. We received a song list and keys and went from there.

He's a great guy and a lot of fun to work with.

We played 'Roly-Poly' in our sound check which really made me happy because I love that song, and ended up doing it in the set!

I might add that his contract with our promoter stated the band must have fiddle and psg, which is why I got the call.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 12:05 pm    

I cant recall the names of all the band members he had but Eugene Moles was the guitarist and he was really great. He is the son of legendary Bakersfield guitarist Gene Moles. The Electric Mandolin/ Fiddle player and bass player had both been with the Sons of the Pioneers show in Branson for a while. Very talented group. I would definitely go see him in concert again.

Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:09 pm    

I was the leader of the house band at the REDBARN CONVENTION CENTER in Winchester Ohio a few years ago and got to back him at a show there.Great human being and yes quite a powerful voice to come from a not so big guy!He even went to McDonalds after the show and hung out with us for a while.