The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Julian tharpe “alligator man”
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 4:09 pm    

Has anyone ever heard of this album entitled alligator man? Someone was telling me that Julian Record of this album down in New Orleans, and it was some of the prettiest E9 stuff you had ever heard. I have never been able to find any information about it. Anyone got any info ?

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 6:28 am    

Are you referring to "Farewell Alligator Man ?" It was recorded in Louisiana , produced by Joel Savoy.

This has Russ Blake on steel, who is an excellent steeler .

https://calebklauder.com/album/581000/farewell-alligator-man

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 7:49 am    

Wow Todd, thanks for pointing this out. I can't believe I didn't know this was coming out. Russ is one of my favorite players. The Samples sound exciting. Ordered.

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 3:18 pm    

Todd Clinesmith wrote:
Are you referring to "Farewell Alligator Man ?" It was recorded in Louisiana , produced by Joel Savoy.

This has Russ Blake on steel, who is an excellent steeler .

https://calebklauder.com/album/581000/farewell-alligator-man

No sir , this was apparently an instrumental album done by the late Julian Tharpe , I will keep looking ! Thanks

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 7:23 pm    

Its very possible recordings are missing from this list but here is a discography. I didn't see anything that might be what you are asking about though. http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/2011/04/julian-tharpe.html

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 5:58 am    

I can remember Julian playing a song called "Alligator Man" when he was working with Beau Monday. I don't know, but I think Beau put an album out with it recorded on it.

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 3:20 pm    

Floyd Lowery wrote:
I can remember Julian playing a song called "Alligator Man" when he was working with Beau Monday. I don't know, but I think Beau put an album out with it recorded on it.

This sounds like we are getting somewhere , I searched the internet . Anyone know where I can find Beaus Music ? I have the live recordings of Julian playing with them.

Gordon Dodson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 7:53 am    

Written and recorded by Jimmie C. Newman, "Alligator Man" was recorded twice by Jody Leavins. The first recording was a 45rpm on Rap Records out of Meridian, MS. in 1967.

The second recording was the title track on the Leavins album titled, "Alligator Man". This album was recorded and produced in 1985 by Julian Tharpe in his Ozark, Alabama studio. Julian was the steel guitar player on this album.

Musical Footnote:

The late, John Rainey Adkins, played bass guitar on this session. He was the lead guitar player in the early years for Roy Orbison and can be heard on many Orbison recordings including, "Mean Woman Blues". Adkins also wrote and played the opening lick for Orbisons' classic, "Pretty Woman".

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 8:22 am    

Here's a version with Gordon Huntley on steel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he1tDn_pMyg

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 9:11 pm    

Gordon Dodson wrote:
Written and recorded by Jimmie C. Newman, "Alligator Man" was recorded twice by Jody Leavins. The first recording was a 45rpm on Rap Records out of Meridian, MS. in 1967.

The second recording was the title track on the Leavins album titled, "Alligator Man". This album was recorded and produced in 1985 by Julian Tharpe in his Ozark, Alabama studio. Julian was the steel guitar player on this album.

Musical Footnote:

The late, John Rainey Adkins, played bass guitar on this session. He was the lead guitar player in the early years for Roy Orbison and can be heard on many Orbison recordings including, "Mean Woman Blues". Adkins also wrote and played the opening lick for Orbisons' classic, "Pretty Woman".

Hi Mr. Gordon, this must be what I have been searching for. I have looked all over the web and have not been able to find the album for sale or anyone. Is there any chance you could upload it for us, or know where I could find one? Very much appreciated

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2018 10:34 pm    

For completeness: Brian Sklar & the Tex Pistols w/ BIlly Phelps on steel
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQNxJTJbgo8