The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TC Electronics Sub'n'up
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2018 8:20 am    

For the past few years I've been using an Electro Harmonix POG2 for organ effects, along with various Leslie emulators. The POG2 works well but it is large and complex. I was thinking of downsizing to the POG Nano when I came across this cute little gadget:
<center>

</center>
The videos on YouTube sounded really good through my headphones so I ordered one from Sweetwater. It arrived yesterday and I hooked it up last night between the EH Mel9 and the Strymon Lex (before the volume pedal). Big thumbs up! Mr. Green
<center>

</center>
The "Dry" knob all the way up is the same volume as you'd get with the unit off. You can then blend in an octave above, an octave below, and 2 octaves below. It tracks really well. The high octave is a bit artificial but to my ears it sounds better than the POG2. The low octaves sound very natural to me. It really adds a lot to the solo flute and clarinet voices of the Mel9 (Mellotron emulator), like a cathedral organ sound.

I highly recommend the Sub'n'up to anyone looking to expand their sound. It's a very clean effect.

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 8:29 am    

Thanks b0b. Very interesting review. Might make the Mel 9 more viable for steel.

George

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 10:08 am    

At first I thought the Mel9 sounded horrible, but the more I learn how use it, the better it sounds. It's tricky. I eventually realized that it has to go before the volume pedal to do its magic properly. I wish EHX would make a similar box with clean digital orchestral sounds instead of emulating antique tape loops. That would be something!

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 10:22 am    

I’ll have to see what the Subnup adds to whole system. Very curious now. The only Mel 9
setting I’ve used live is the cello with considerable reverb.

George

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 4:23 pm    

My wife got me a Strymon Lex fir my birthday. Nice lady👍 I have it on the leg of my Mullen and while it’s OK, it’s good to know it will play nice with the TC Pedal.

Chris Garner

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2018 2:20 pm    

As to the Mel9, what did you find different as to placement before the volume pedal? I plan on trying it out. Love the sounds, but the attack gets tricky to control. Is that what cleared up?