The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String breakage with .028 GHS strings, problem is GHS's
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 1:46 pm    

I’ve been talking to Jon Moody, Product Development Manager at GHS, about a problem I (and many others, according to posts I’ve read) are having with GHS strings. He now is working with his manufacturing people to track down the cause and fix it, but it remains to be seen when that will happen.

The problem is quite specific - it affects mostly their cryogenically treated phosphor bronze resonator string sets (although I also observed it on a particular one of their standard strings, the B28).

The CR1600 string sets, which actually are sold under three names - Tim Scheerhorn set, Americana Cryogenic set, and Lawrence Juber Signature set - all have a middle G .028 string that breaks on installation, or shortly after. It won’t take the tension of being raised all the way to pitch.

It seems that there is some variability in their process such that some of these will be fine, but, especially recently, they all seem to break when going from F# up to G. The core breaks, leaving the wrap intact (and unspooling).

Scale length is a factor - if you have a scale of LESS than 25”, they are OK (less tension). At 25”, it is random, and above 25” (e.g., the new National standard scale of 25 21/32), they all break.

These are great strings, otherwise - nice and bright, very inexpensive, and tone lasts seemingly forever - a great alternative to those quick-to-die D’Addario EJ42 strings. Here’s hoping that they get it all resolved, but until then, using them is really risky…they aren’t recalling the ones that are out there now, and I don’t know how you would even tell, when they are fixed, if you are getting the new or old version…

So now I’m using the D’Addario EXP42 coated strings…still very bright (certainly as bright as EJ42s that have been played for a little while), last a very long time, but a little pricey.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 3:59 am    

Thanks for letting us know, Steve. Dunlop had the same iss7e with .028s a few years ago. It may be okay now, but I haven’t checked lately. I bought some D’addarios 28s for a short term fix, and Dunlop was great about getting back to me with an apology and some replacement sets.

Is it something about the core wire for that gauge - just too thin for the tension?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 4:28 am    

They don’t know the cause yet