The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What do you do when you can no longer hold the bar?
Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 10:11 am    

Nerve damage in my left hand has left me without the ability to anchor the bar. Not being one to give up easily, I started playing around with ideas on how to manipulate the steel without actually gripping it. Came up with the approach of modifying a wristguard that skaters/skateboarders use.

First I took my Dremel tool and ground out a channel for my 3/4" bar to sit in. Then I got a good final fit using 3/4" EMT conduit wrapped with 80 grit sandpaper. The bar I chose was one of Michael Hillman's powder-coated bars. Using JB Weld, I epoxied it in place.

So, how does it work? Certainly there's loss of control and "touch" by moving the bar with your wrist as opposed to cradling it in your fingers. But I can see the bar position over the frets and by varying front to back pressure play notes cleanly. No Speedy West moves here, however.

I've only played with this new rig for 30 min or so, so the jury's out whether this will be a satisfactory solution. I'd love to have something I could cradle in my palm to more naturally duplicate the normal hand position and get everything closer to the strings. I may try modifying one of these Mother's synthetic clay bars for auto detailing. https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1764688/00840

Bill

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 12:21 pm    

Very cool! As someone who has adapted to tendinitis and elbow nerve damage I think it's great to see innovations like this. Best of luck to you Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 1:20 pm    

Bill,Right On! After my stroke it was very hard for me to grip the bar,Slants are almost impossible these days but I've got a set of those spring loaded hand grip exorcise things and hit it at least 200 times every day and that seems to have helped a bunch.What you've got is very cool don't give up!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 2:44 pm    

Hi, Bill!
Have you heard of InstaMorph plastic? It’s an easily meltable plastic pellet product that you can mold and shape. It then hardens when cool and is very strong. While it’s in its soft stage you can mold it to the shape of your cupped palm and press your bar into it. Then, once it hardens, it should be ready to use. It can even be melted again if it doesn’t go right the first time Smile

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 4:50 pm    

UPDATE: I tried Plan B with the Mother's Clay Bar 2.0...much better. More natural palm & finger position. And moving the hand closer to the steel provides more feedback. Moleskin keeps the rubber from sticking and lets me mute strings behind the bar by rocking the pad. Plus, gentle rocking gives me vibrato! As a proof of concept, this gets me closer. I think I'll try Shane's InstaMorph idea to get a custom fit and good cradle for the steel. Now if only I could see the frets...

Bill

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 5:14 pm     Hold your Bar

Hi Bill I fully understand your problem although I don't have nerve damage my arthritis is getting worse and I know the time for me is getting short. After seeing your Idea my mind started spinning. If the bar was drilled in the back and a stiff rod inserted the rod then attached to the brace to extend the bar into your hand and out in a more normal playing position might make it feel better. Let me do a little research and I'll update you on my ideas.
Barry

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 5:17 pm    

That is a major improvement! Looks like a computer mouse. Pretty crafty Cool

What about just a regular old glass bottleneck type guitar slide that fits over your finger? The tone will be different and sustain will be shorter, but maybe worth a try.
http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/BestOfTheRest.html

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 5:50 pm    

Appreciate the ideas, everyone.

The challenge with using a slide, as you'll see in the pics, is we're all used to arching our index finger to both provide pressure as well as bring the finger up where the thumb can support the right side if the steel (pics). If I slip a bar on, the thumb is orphaned and has to ride along the edge of the fingerboard, at least for my hand. Plus, I currently have so little strength in my fingers (can't make a fist) that I need the collective oomph from my fingers, palm, and wrist to get adequate down pressure. I've order some InstaMorph and will play with that next week.

Bill

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:01 pm    

What if you drilled a hole in the bar, inserted a pin and attached two metal loops (like brass knuckles) to the pin so you could slip your fingers in the loops. You might be able to make the loops out of the meltable plastic.
Just a thought.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:09 pm    

I’m hoping that you can get something workable out of the Instamorph. It’s a lot tougher than you think it would be. I had the body rust out a bit behind the windshield wipers of a ‘59 Ford and I used that stuff to brace the wiper arm. Even with the motor torque and constant sunlight it lasted over four years.
If it helps you find a shape that works you could carry on and try to carve some clear acrylic to the same shape. That way you could see the frets.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 7:07 pm    

I had a similar problem back in 2009. Here is a link:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1470759&sid=ff1e9200ebfb7c1bded363414c8da011
Maybe something like this would help. I used this modified bar for a couple of months and managed play OK with it.

Ian McWee

Worcestershire, UK
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 4:37 am    

The amazing Tom Doughty has used his very heavy finger-slide for acoustic duties for over ten years now ~ check out his music here: Winking

www.tomdoughty.com

Slide On!

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 7:14 am    

Might be repeating something. But looking at Bills pictures, why can't you somehow glue a steel bar to the bottom of the finger tube. Might take some adjustments. Or try 2 finger bars, index, and middle finger, and glue the steel bar under both finger bars, you might get more control that way. My 2 cents!

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 7:55 am    

With a soft lob pitch like that, I can't resist saying "Topple gently to the floor". Mr. Green

But I must say I am amazed and heartened at the variety of ideas out there - I never would have thought of the car wax idea, for example. I am fortunate that at the moment I have no such problems, but it's encouraging to know there are options if that day ever comes.

I have seen a metal ring welded onto the bar, and the player slips his finger through the loop. It may look unorthodox, but he can play circles around me with it!

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:07 pm    

Bless you for hanging in there with determination to make music.
Remember that Django created all his magic with a burnt up hand.
I like the mouse idea. I’ve seen videos of guys playing great stuff with very unorthodox left handed techniques.
Keep an open mind and your brain will find a way.
Peace, John

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 8:40 pm    

I wish I had a photo to share, but when my ol’ steel mentor’s bar control started going south, he had a large blues slide (tube) welded or soldered on top (parallel to) his regular bar. Then, he simply slipped his index finger through the blues slide and violá...instant and accurate bar control.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 10:15 pm    

This guy found a way....
https://youtu.be/6IrSq1rOoL4

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 9:11 am    

I like Don's idea. I was going to suggest attaching the bar to a thin glove of some kind. But attaching it to a ring, then wearing it with a thin glove might work well.

There must be some way for you to still be able to mute the strings on the left side of the bar...

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 9:22 am    

It'd be really neat if you had a glove that was connected to the bar at the all the same points you did before, so you could use the same exact grip as before. I can't think off the top of my head how to attach the bar to a glove... but it's an idea. There's gotta be a way!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 11:53 am    

Shane Byrd wrote:
Hi, Bill!
Have you heard of InstaMorph plastic? It’s an easily meltable plastic pellet product that you can mold and shape. It then hardens when cool and is very strong. While it’s in its soft stage you can mold it to the shape of your cupped palm and press your bar into it. Then, once it hardens, it should be ready to use. It can even be melted again if it doesn’t go right the first time Smile

Bill here is a link to the instamorph plastic it is great stuff and you should be able to design and mold a bar holder with it fairly easily
https://www.instamorph.com
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 6:13 pm    

Plan C

The InstaMorph arrived today. I liked the idea of rings of some sort that allow me to concentrate my muscles on downward pressure and no so much on grip or anchoring the bar. Found some copper fittings at the hardware store that sized well for both sections if my index finger. Tonite I'll try "bedding" the rings on the bar with the InstaMorph. I can keep my finger in there while it cools to get the angle just right.

Stay tuned

Bill

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 5:38 am    

Years ago I saw an advertisement that offered a bar with a provision to insert a finger to a meticulously attached wide ring on the top of the bar. It was designed for players with weak hands to provide a better grip as to not drop the bar. I have looked for it since to no avail. I should have bought it when I saw it just in case I would ever need it. I would think a good welder could attach a perfectly sized ring or two to a stainless bar.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 8:02 am    

Nice to see you sticking with it Bill.

I always think about if I hurt or lost function of a hand or a left foot. I remember when Bobbe Seymour mangled his hand on a table saw.

I'm happy to see these different ideas. I like the idea if a big ring or two that attached to the bar.

And that Hawaiian player, that worked out just fine I see!

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 8:41 am    

I came up with this after watching this post for the last few days. This is my first effort and I have found a couple of little things that need to be changed.

It is a pice of formed walnut and two velcrow straps insert your second finger in the loops you index over the bar and strap it on.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 8:43 am    

I came up with this after watching this post for the last few days. This is my first effort and I have found a couple of little things that need to be changed.

It is a pice of formed walnut and two velcrow straps insert your second finger in the loops you index over the bar and strap it on.