The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Erecting and breaking down your steel
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 6:24 pm    

Same as Lee. Been flipping D10's for years. (Set up). WATCH YOUR BELT BUCKLE OR SUSPENDERS!!! Always have set it up from the floor. Chair??? The hardest time I ever had putting it back in the case was at 2:00am!!!!! Don't do that anymore. County Fairs and Festivals for this guy. 1 and 2 hour gigs. No more 5 sets a night for this guy.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 9:40 am    

I pretty much do *everything* wrong.
With my D-10 Carter, I open the case on the floor, put all the pieces on, carefully lift it out and set it upside down (strings down) on the floor.
Then I tip it over onto its side.
Then I lift the body of the guitar and turn it right side up.
My back's pretty raggedy, but my shoulders are really ruined. I can't swivel all that weight in the air.
When I get to using my new (not yet arrived) S-10 / pad keyless GFI Ultra we'll see what system evolves.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 9:56 pm    

Seriously guys, if you back trouble and for sure, lifting a D-10 out of the case is a chore unless you have some help. If you got the right kind of vehicle, do like I do,just stand it up in back braced to back seat. I have an older model Jeep Grand Cherokee and my steel hasn’t been in case in 4 years. I wouldn’t put one together and take it apart one a gig for it. Lots of advantages, you can be set up in less than 10 minutes, it’s not near as heavy out of case, you can be loaded back in less than ten minutes, there is less wear and take on one not taking apart, doesn’t wear out legs. Only dis advantage I can think of is if you in an accident, your steel is probably going to get damage of some kind. But even in the case, it can be damaged. Two things I hate and both are tearing down and putting together a D-10 steel and they weigh a ton in the case. I know some frown on this and say it causes damage to steel but neither one of my push pulls have ever been damaged or even scratched as far as that goes. I’m very particular with my guitars and I’ve found this to be the best way.
You have to have the right kind of vehicle for this to work. It also worked in my four door Ford truck I had. Just let back seat up and sit it right in on one I had and it’s not going anywhere.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 11:46 pm    

This is the first time I’ve ever heard the assembling a pedal steel guitar refered to as “erection”.
But hey, these days I’ll take what I can get.
J

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 4:47 am    

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
...I open the case on the floor, put all the pieces on, carefully lift it out and set it upside down (strings down) on the floor.
Then I tip it over onto its side.
Then I lift the body of the guitar and turn it right side up.

So far, my basic approach has been to stay at home.Very Happy But otherwise, I do something similar, mostly because of my knees getting bad. I put the legs and pedal bar on, then rotate it 90 degrees lifted slightly out of the case (so it's on its side, with the back of the body resting on the case and the pedal bar up), then set it upright and put the rods on.

--Al Evans

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 6:28 am    

John Goux wrote:
This is the first time I’ve ever heard the assembling a pedal steel guitar referred to as “erection”.

You've never heard that pedal steel is hard? Laughing