The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson steel guitar
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 7:21 am    

I was at Steel Guitar Nashville yesterday and got to see this Jackson steel. First one I've checked out. Really nice in all ways. Mechanics are great and not run of the mill. Great action and tone. It's used but like it's never been played. $3,000.00

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 9:29 am    

Looks like a real fine machine. I can't quite tell, is the pickup mounted on a diagonal? What would the purpose of that be?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 9:39 am    

One of the better guitars I've played. The jacksons really think out of the box.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 9:46 am    

History info

http://georgiamusic.org/jackson-steel-guitar-company/

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 2:21 pm    

My Pro IV is an absolutely wonderful guitar. It plays great, and it's by far the best sounding instrument I've ever had. It seems like it's impossible to get a bad tone out of it out of any amp, any speaker and at any place up and down the neck. A super Sho-Bud to be sure. It's got a real nice bite to it. Oh yeah, it looks great too.

I think that a lot of the Jackson's tone (at least on mine) comes from the changer--although the pickup is first rate. The fingers have a small diameter (maybe 5/8") sitting on a big steel axle (1/2" or so)--a lot like the old permanents. I really like the sound of thin aluminum sitting on top of pretty thick steel on a changer. Seems like the extra mass of the heavy steel axle combined with the "taming" effect of the aluminum is pretty magic. As I recall, that's along the line of what Ron Lashley decided on the Emmons guitars too.

Dave

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 5:45 pm    

I play a Blackjack Custom and it's the best pedal steel I play! I thought about getting a BlackJack but then I sat down behind a BlackJack Custom and loved it! The Jackson BlackJack is a pro model steel. When the Jackson Steel Guitar Company was looking for a name for the guitar, they first thought about calling it the Renegade, but Dawn Jackson thought BlackJack sounded better, so they went with Jackson BlackJack. The sound is similar to a 1960s Sho-Bud.

Brett, Jackson Blackjack Custom, Gretsch G9210 Boxcar Dobro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 12:18 am     Psg

What's the guitar body made of with the BlackJack S-10.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 4:26 am    

Colin Swinney wrote:
Looks like a real fine machine. I can't quite tell, is the pickup mounted on a diagonal? What would the purpose of that be?

That could be to brighten the tone of the lower strings. Common practice on regular 6-strings I think.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 7:47 am    

The pickup is mounted on a movable bracket so you can adjust the angle of the pickup to tune in your tone. At least that is what I think this is. I saw this on a prototype at Dallas a couple of years ago. Really great concept.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 7:56 pm    

Mtulburt your 100 % right

Bruce Green

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2023 2:31 am     Jackson Blackjack

I am the proud owner of a 2008 Jackson Blackjack and it's definitely the smoothest playing steel I've owned so far. I also owned a twin ZB 1967 model & 1973 Emmons SD 6x2 which I still have.
The Blackjack does not break strings. I haven't broken one one in 14 years. I am certain it is due to the whole construction design and smoothness of it's mechanisms. Bruce Green Melbourne Australia