Conditional yes (please comment below)
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 47

Author Topic:  Colored tuning nuts?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 11:05 am    

Dave Stroud, keep me posted on your experiments with dyes, I eventually want probably 3 colors other than white for: split rods; tuning compensator rods; rods that use the Bradshaw gizmo giving me an one more raise or lower than my guitar allows normally. So probably just green, black and red. I play a Mullen pre-RP, but have a Zum S12 and Rittenberry SD12 waiting in the wings, all will benefit from colored hex nuts. You planning on selling some, right?

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 4:19 pm    

Hi John,

I'll be sure to post pictures and progress as I get them done this weekend.

The main limitation on our end is having the proper tools to efficiently cut the tuning nuts and drill the holes. For how many tuning nuts we would sell, I don't think we would be able to break even with the initial setup costs. If they turn out well and there's still interest, I might make them in bulk someday when I get the machines I'd like.

What I could offer now are inexpensive, easy-to-use kits with detailed instructions on how to dye your own tuning nuts. All that would be needed is a 5 qt sauce pan, 500 ml water, and two hours of time (for each color unless more sauce pans are introduced). I plan to pick up a few old sauce pans at a thrift store.

There are three substances needed in addition to the dye, but those would be pre-packaged in the correct proportions ready to dump. Scaling the dye and substances down to a small level for 10 tuning nuts takes the measurements down to a thousandth of a gram.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 6:53 am    

You're really digging deep on this Dave...from personal experience I can assure you a little bit of Rit Dye (about $2.50 per color for a lifetime supply) a cup of water and 10-20 minutes will achieve everything you're trying to do.

I hope no offense is taken as none is meant.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 8:54 am    

None taken, Ross Smile I know I'm taking this deeper than it probably needs to be, but I want the best quality dye for the tuning nuts on my steel since they'll be on there for a long time.

I'm sure the ritt dye works fine, and I would probably just use that if it wasn't for this particular steel.

All dyes will fade over time, but more permanent dyes wil resist fading better and produce more vibrant colors.

Although I'll offer cheap "kits" to anyone interested in them, I don't plan to sell them for any kind of profit. It's just an option for anyone who wants to go the extra mile for high quality dyes without spending all the money for it. There's no sense in me holding on to it all once my tuners get done, but even if I do, that's OK Smile