The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lower end PSG that can be be set up as C6 ?
Bert Brown

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 10:10 am    

Are there any decent PSGs out there under $1500 that can be easily set up as C6.

I know most student models are fixed, but are there exceptions?

I've played guitar for 50 years, dobro and lap for 30, C6 lap for 20, so I know what I'm getting into.

Thanks
Bert

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 8:25 pm    

Bert,

If you're willing to go with a used guitar, it is very possible to get into that price range on an older S10 pro-level guitar. Pro models will feature mechanics that give you a lot of flexibility on tunings and pedal configurations.

However, most single neck guitars will already be tuned to E9, and will have three or four pedals. If you want the "standard" C6 pedal/lever setup, you'd need at least five pedals, so you might need to add a pedal or two, increasing cost (assuming parts are still available).

70s-era MSA S10 Classic models came from the factory with five pedals and four knee levers, so would be pretty close to being "C6 ready", although you'd probably still need to add a few more pullers and rods. They sell for reasonable prices, come up for sale fairly regularly, and parts are still available.

There are some S10 C6 guitars out there, but I don't see many come up for sale. A D10 will usually have a C6 neck set up on it, and it is occasionally possible to find older guitars under $1500, but would take some patience. A D10 in this price range might also need parts, cleaning, or setup, or have limited or outdated mechanics.

Bert Brown

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 7:15 am    

Thanks Keith. I guess there's no student models that are convertible ?
I could live with 4 pedals (I understand many players do without #4)

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 7:20 am    

An S10 with 3 and 4 could work. You won't get all the extra knee lever changes. Move 2 pedals up to knee levers. I have both pedals 7 and 8 on knee levers, although I am going to move 7 back to the floor and move pedal 5 or 6 to a lever. Don't like 2 footin'. I also have had pedal 4 on a lever. Would be good with a half stop at Bb. The thing I like most is having P8 on my lkl. So much easier to hit than a pedal for me.

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 12:46 pm    

Bert,

I’m not very familiar with current student models. Maybe someone with some knowledge about them will chime in. In the past, student models generally were not designed to alter pedal setups. The newer Carter student model is not changeable from what I have read here on the forum.

Doug Earnest at Stage One might be someone to contact. I don’t know if Stage Ones have mechanics that lend themselves to setup changes, but he could let you know that, or if he could build a new S10 setup for C6 under $1500.