The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic

What famous steel player was your biggest influence when you started playing steel?
Jerry Byrd
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Bud Isaacs
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
"Little" Roy Wiggins
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Pete Drake
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Dewitt "Scotty" Scott
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Ralph Mooney
7%
 7%  [ 14 ]
Jerry Garcia
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Sneaky Pete Kleinow
4%
 4%  [ 9 ]
Jay Dee Maness
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Lloyd Green
12%
 12%  [ 23 ]
Buddy Cage
6%
 6%  [ 12 ]
Jeff Newman
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Paul Franklin
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Tom Brumley
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Doug Jernigan
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
John Hughey
6%
 6%  [ 12 ]
Buddy Emmons
14%
 14%  [ 26 ]
Al Perkins
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Don Helms
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Buddy Charleton
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
other (specify in a reply)
13%
 13%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 181

Author Topic:  Your Biggest Early Influence (redone)
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 1:51 pm    

Definitely Emmons, although Rusty Young and Jay Dee were on my horizon very early on.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 4:46 pm     Steel player that inspired me.

I had played fiddle from a very young age when I discovered Curly Chalker. I have to admit it was a little rough starting at the top.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 5:30 pm    

I guess it all depends on how you would define "famous steel player." I first started playing on a 10-string, 3x1 student model pedal steel. Nowadays most of my playing is on 6-string -- both acoustic and electric -- non-pedal instruments.

When I was first starting out, the players who had the most influence on me were the guys who taught me how to play -- Cal Hand, Russ Pahl, Mike Cass, and Dave Knight.

My earliest memories of steel guitar were from television -- people like Billy Mize, Marion Hall, and Buddy Merrill.

On the first poll, I picked Buddy Emmons. On the second poll, I picked Don Helms. But the guy who really caught my ear early on was John Sebastian on "Nashville Cats." Go figure...

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 4:23 am    

Joe Adams, Washington Courthouse,Ohio

Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 4:53 am    

Lee Jeffries, who lead me to Speedy West.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 9:02 am    

I did expect Scotty to get some votes. Shocked

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 9:56 am    

I liked what I heard, hearing pedal steel. I started watching David Hartly and Tony Browne on YouTube. I learned some licks from watching them and decided to try this instrument. Almost 5 years into this, and have not regretted it!

..................Pat

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 10:38 am    

It'd be interesting to do a survey for "Before Pedals".

Alan Murphy

N Ireland
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 12:18 pm    

Hi Bob,

I gave Scotty my vote, bought his Mel Bay books back in 1981 and had the extreme pleasure of him and Mary stay in our home for a week many years later. Up till then the Winnie Winston book was all I had and I got stuck on Red River Valley (The first tune) !

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 12:25 pm    

First steel guitar influence was Santo Farina in 1963.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 6 Jul 2018 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 7:39 pm    

Since I started playing in 1950, most of the names on the list weren't even heard of, much less famous. My biggest early influence was Jerry Byrd, followed closely by Don Helms and Little Roy Wiggins.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 3:01 am    

b0b wrote:
Jerry Garcia wasn't as good a player as the country music professionals, but he was influential in bringing the instrument into the mainstream.

Well said - not a career steel player but a good enough musician to get something creative out of it. Dead right for that band.

[With hindsight, pun intended]

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 5:31 am    

In the early 1970's I was deeply passioned by post-war, blues (ala) the Chicago artists. Then, one day, a good friend played for me "American Beauty" by the Grateful Dead and the New Riders of the Purple Sage's 1st album and I was intrigued by Garcia's steel guitar playing on "Candyman" and "Last Lonely Eagle". Shortly after that, the same friend played Poco's "Deliverin" live album and "Grand Junction" blew the doors wide open. A few weeks later I bought a used Gibson Electraharp.

However, my first true playing inspiration came almost a year later - from my teacher and Forum member, Paul Carestia. It's been many years since those first lessons, but I still remember Paul's careful instruction on left and right hand techniques and learning how the pedals affected the creation of music.

Paul, if you read this, what I've learned from you has brought great joy to me over the years. A BIG thanks for the time you spent teaching me and patience you'd shown in the process. Smile

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2018 8:02 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
b0b wrote:
Jerry Garcia wasn't as good a player as the country music professionals, but he was influential in bringing the instrument into the mainstream.

Well said - not a career steel player but a good enough musician to get something creative out of it. Dead right for that band.

[With hindsight, pun intended]

Dead right. In 1971, at the Hollywood Bowl, I got to see Garcia play pedal steel with the New Riders, and then play a long Dead show. I think he played for something like six hours. One of my favorite shows ever.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2018 7:43 am    

"Your biggest influence" all depends on how long in the tooth you are. When I started out there was NO pedal steel.
I started out on the "Hawaiian" guitar.
I bought the Jerry Byrd book and he had a big influence on me, especially when I got to the back of the book and discovered the C6th tuning, wow!
Erv

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:35 pm    

For me it was Jimmy Day...his recordings were the first steel records I bought along with Jerry Byrd...so Jerry Byrd on the steel, and Jimmy Day on the pedal steel were my first big influences...and the recording that Jeff Newman first came out with to me was heavily influences of Jimmy Day style. I got started in 1969.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 6:46 pm    

duplicate..sorry
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 10 Jul 2018 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2018 8:13 pm    

Jerry Garcia for me. All it took was hearing Dire Wolf and I knew I wanted to learn how to do that Wink

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 7:53 am    

I started taking lap steel lessons in 1955. My mom wanted me to because she loved the radio program "Hawaii Calls." In 1959 when Santo & Johnny made the big hit Sleep Walk, Santo Ferina became a big influence to me.

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 10:40 am    

Curly Chalker was the first player I knew about. My 6 string guitar teacher was a Jazz melody chord style player who told me about Curly. But really, Jeff Newman was my main source for learning pedal steel guitar.
Henry

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 5:07 pm    

Hearing Speedy West blew my mind. I don't and won't ever sound like him, but he made me want to commit to playing the instrument.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 9:22 pm    

Buddy Cage and that's all she wrote !

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2018 9:54 pm    

Man this is a hard one. My Grandaddy had me raised up on all the greats (Emmons, Chalker, Hughey etc) I definitely have a great respect for all those players, but in the early 2000รขโ‚ฌหœs when I was just getting out of high school Jamey Johnson came out with that Lonesome song album, when I heard Cowboy Eddie Long is playing I knew I wanted to follow after my grandfather and be a steel player. I would have to say he is my biggest influence, but is so hard because I love players like Mike Johnson, Julian Tharpe, and Al petty.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 1:52 am    

Definitely John Hughey for me.

Neil Degraw

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 3:48 pm    

My vote is Lloyd Green