The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Heavy or light ?
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 1:44 am    

I’ve had quite a few pedal steel guitars over the years, and have noticed that the lighter weight guitars seem to have a brighter tone to them....Of course other factors come into play,but in general,heavier steel,heavier tone.....

Do round cross shafts have a different tone from hex shafts ?

Tell me what you think.......Jim

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 3:57 am     Re: Heavy or light ?

James Quackenbush wrote:
I’ve … noticed that the lighter weight guitars seem to have a brighter tone to them.

You'll find that's true of just about any instrument. A heavier object will tend to resonate at lower frequencies, giving a sound which is mellower if you like it and duller if you don't.

As for the cross-shafts, that's just a matter of how the builder thinks it's best to connect the other parts. A heavier cross-shaft will flex less, but the shape is irrelevant.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 4:02 am    

You’ll probably get a lot of opinions on this but I’m not too sure you could generalize very far about tone in heavier vs. lighter steels. Too many other variables. That being said, I do know that an Emmons student model I have has tone to die for and it’s the lightest of all that brand. But the D-10’s I gig and play with are mighty fine, too.

I do not think there’s any difference in tone with either square or hex crossshafts.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 4:44 am    

Black mica guitars are the best. LOL

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 6:17 am    

Thanks guys....I’m speaking “in general”...... there are only so many things you can do to make each pedal steel identical to each other for this comparison.... comparing each pedal steel with the same strings and the same pick ups generally speaking ...... i’m aware that there are tons of other variables but I’m just speaking basic and in general ...Thanks again.......Jim

Hey Jack could you please send me the molecular structure of black Mica so I can compare it with the other mica .....I have to to try to understand why black Mica sounds best ? I know you have the answer to this !!!😁

Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 8:22 am    

Hey Jack, if black mica sounds better, you need to recover that old Franklin and make it sound like my Fessy!!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 1:34 pm    

It has been my experience that D-10s sound better & have more sustain than S-10s. 'Course it could be psychological.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 3:11 pm    

Paul finally started playing a black guitar.....

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 3:17 pm     Re: Heavy or light ?

James Quackenbush wrote:
Do round cross shafts have a different tone from hex shafts ?

yes...