The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  mini/micro battery amps for busking
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 6:07 am    

for busking with an archtop-western swing-gypsy jazz-etc.
(I consider the reviews of the metal crunch guys useless)
For clean or mildly driven compressed sound for western swing/bebop to get as full a sound one could expect from a battery amp, I'm gravitating towards the Vox mini 3 or 5.

anyone?

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 9:28 am    

I´ve had a Roland AC-33 for a couple of years now and I still like it. It has two channels, 15 Watts each with the AC Adaptor or 10 Watts each on Battery Power (eight AA cells) and two 6.5¨ Speakers. It´s loud enough for what it is, but it´s obviously not a Twin. There are Instrument and Mic Inputs and Reverb, Chorus and a very simple Looper. I have played a variety of instruments, acoustic and electric, through it with good results. It´s Spendy and and I shelled out more for Footswitches and Cables to get full functionality from the effects. I chose it over the others because of its versatility. You can download the Manual from Roland or a Vendor.

Good Luck in your search! Cool

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 10:37 am    

"Roland AC-33"- That model slipped my notice. I'd think two 6.5" spkrs and 10 watts would have an edge over most others. Will check out. Thanks

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 12:52 pm    

I have a Crate Limousine that I like. 50 watts w/a 10" speaker.. no longer made, but available on Reverb and EBay once in a while...XLR and 1/4" , 3 channels, some DSP stuff..

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 8:30 pm    

Roland MicroCube......very popular here at the Forum

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 1:28 pm    

The Cube Street EX may be their best alternative. I haven't tried this amp yet, but it features two 8" speakers, 50 watts stereo (25w/channel), guitar/mic/aux inputs, reverb/chorus/delay, and a sloped monitor-style cabinet. It operates using 8 AA batteries or 120v, and if it sounds anything like the specs and other Roland gear, I might have to get one myself!

You just never know when I may be stranded in the woods with Chick Singer. Winking

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 2:04 pm    

man there's mightier battery stuff out there than I realized. The Cube EX might be more power than I'd need. The Cube ST might be just what I need with two 6.5 spkrs but with a significant less power at 5 watts. Hmmm...

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 5:40 pm    

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:
Roland MicroCube......very popular here at the Forum

I like mine. I also like my Cube Street, which is basically two Micro Cubes side-by-side in a goofy-shaped trapezoidal cabinet.

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 7:05 pm    

I just got a Roland Street Cube. Did my first Senior Ctr. gig today using it. Plenty of power for that venue. Great tone with my old Kiesel D-8 & a rhythm machine plugged into it. I thought it sounded as good as my Roland 80 XL or my Peavey amps. I had no batteries in it. Just used the plug in adapter.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 9:25 pm    

I saw a guy in Rome a few years ago using a small HiWatt and a car battery on a hand truck. Sounded good.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 10:21 am    

I use one of these for electric archtop:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-europort-mpa40bt-portable-pa-system
Not really small but it sounds better than any mini that I’ve heard

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 10:45 am    

The Fishman Mini Loudbox is now available in a cordless model. Great little amp.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 2:00 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
The Cube Street EX may be their best alternative. I haven't tried this amp yet, but it features two 8" speakers, 50 watts stereo (25w/channel), guitar/mic/aux inputs, reverb/chorus/delay, and a sloped monitor-style cabinet. It operates using 8 AA batteries or 120v, and if it sounds anything like the specs and other Roland gear, I might have to get one myself!

You just never know when I may be stranded in the woods with Chick Singer. Winking

Donny, I've got one of those,and when I bought my Quilter Mach 2 and sold all the other amps I kept the Street EX. Lots of voices, and it'll run for hours and hours on batteries unless you push it to top output.
The AC adapter for it is kinda noisy, though, and can't handle raggedy small-town bar crummy wired outlets very well. Buzzes clicks and hum.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2018 4:29 pm    

Jeffrey, can you use the reverb and chorus at the same time, or is it a one-or-the-other deal?