The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Round front LDG
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 6:35 am    

Good move, Shane...you scored a nice gtr.
I've got a 6139 that I bought new in '72 that I'll never part with. If the George L doesn't do it for you, the 710 is a good call. That's what Lloyd has in his steel.
If you're not hip to it already, one of these days we should have a chat about the versatility of the rack & barrel 1up/1down system.

Congrats on your new steel.

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 7:31 am    

Thanks, Skip! I’ve been a six string player for 30 years and a Lloyd Green fan for a decade, but I’m a total steel newbie. This is going to be a complete adventure for me Very Happy
It’s been more than a little confusing trying to learn all the differences in changers and undercarriages over the years. I’ve been paying attention to tone more than anything else and this era Sho Bud seems to stand out to me.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 11:37 am    

Hey Shane YOU did REAL good bro....that is the best sounding Changer fingers like I was talking about and YES Alex is great!!! and kept it barrel tuning....>you scored the Perfect Sho~bud.....BAM!!!
ok and like Skip just said(rip that stupid George L out of there)...oh wait; I said that part....ha....but like he said; if you want a humbucker; yes indeed best one is the one Lloyd has in his...is a Bill Lawrence 710 "narrow mount". If you want the perfect single coil; get the one me and Jerry Wallace finally decided is the perfect Ohmage TrueTone Pickup for the Sho~bud....wound to 17,500 and has to be grounded correctly....I'll coach you on that.
I'm proud of you...and I can already guarantee you; there is NO OTHER steel guitar after that one bro...
Ricky

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 12:42 pm    

I love the sound of my Pro I and definitely was not knocking any other guitars. I was merely stating that someone could find a guitar with similar tone and the single/single changer due to the rarity and expense of a round front LDG. I probably have about 1600 tied up in mine now, but it was worth it. I installed a Jerry Wallace pickup with the split coil, new fret board, and two additional knees making it 3X5. I spend a lot of time playing my Mullen, but occasionally I play my Bud and it reminds me of why Mr. Green still loves his LDG.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 12:49 pm    

Shane,

I missed the post where you bought the Sho-Bud. Congrats!! I saw that guitar and though "man I wish I had Flocked the underside of mine!" It is pretty much the same guitar I have except I have the barrels with two-hole pullers instead of racks. Mine also had a George L in it when I bought it and it had to go! The Wallace Tru Tone at 17500 made it sound like a Sho-Bud should sound!! Well worth the investment to swap the pickup.

Shane Byrd

Lynn Haven FL, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2018 1:29 pm    

Thanks, guys!
Alex is nice enough to send me the original pickup with the guitar, so I can rewind it if need be and see how it sounds Very Happy

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 6:58 am    

+1 on the Jerry Wallace rewinds.

Ricky, you remember the round front LDG I had that I sold to Randy Lindley? I think you and I met in the parking lot of some BBQ joint to do that deal?.LOL..

Anyway, as you know that's the one that Dicky Overbey ended up playing.That was a stock Sho-Bud PU that went south and was rewound by Jerry to original spec, including the coil tap. Of course Dicky made any guitar sound great, but he really sounded good on that one. For anybody curious about the Jerry Wallace rewinds, any videos you see of him playing that guitar are great examples of what a TT rewind sounds like.

BTW, I bought that guitar from a forum member in Houston by the name of Jim Saunders way back in around 2003 or 2004, and I paid 1250.00.. Yikes! For that deal we met in the parking lot of a Dairy Queen near Houston.. I guess those parking lots are where all the deals are. Smile

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 7:12 am    

Another +1 for the Jerry Wallace pickups/rewinds! Here’s my two Roundfront Sho~Buds, both pickups rewound and coil taps by Jerry late last year and one of his own, in my Blondey. They sound killer!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 1:26 pm    

Yes of course I remember that meeting with you Bill Terry, as I picked up that LDG from you in the HEB parking lot in Elgin,Tx bro. And yes I was the one that set it up for Dicky and certainly know the ability of the Great Jerry Wallace...as I used him on ANY and EVERY re-wind I needed(course he hated doing the coil tap...but he would cause I begged...ha...)...and yes here is Dicky with that awesome LDG and the way he made it SING>>>>>>>

https://youtu.be/cQStiF9DtPA