The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need some help with TC Electronics M-1
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 7:57 am    

I just got this Thursday and have it running OK, but that's about as far as I've got. I assume it has some factory presets, but I can't find them. I can bring up tap delay and change the milliseconds OK but I can't figure out how to hear the delay. Also, on the reverb settings, they just sound horrible, like they are coming out of a cave 10 miles away. I can adjust the blend and wet controls and get rid of the coming from outer space sound, but the quality still sucks.

All I am looking for is some good reverb and delay.The owners manual is way too technical to be of any help. It tells what all the controls and settings are, but full of technical jargon that doesn't tell you in plain English what to do.

I understand this is a new toy with a steep learning curve and I am a total green horn. I know it will take some time to figure it all out. I would like to use it next weekend for two gigs, if possible.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

PS: I got it with a Stereo Steel amp. There may be programs loaded by GD Walker, but I don't know how to find them.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 11:16 am     Need some help with TC Electronics M-1

I have made a little progress. I found 100 effects but when I turn the knob to go from one to the other, there is no change in the sound. Somehow, I guess once you scan the menu and see an effect you want to use, you have to select it in some manner. So far, I can't figure out how. I have also found a bank of 24 effects. I don't understand why there are two banks of effects. One with 24 and one with 100.

If I turn the mix knob so that the reverb starts to come through, it sounds fine, but I can barely tell the reverb is on. If I increase the reverb into the mix, it goes into cave sound.

I have not been able to get any delay at all. I find delay on the screen, have never been able to hear it.

I know there are some good sounds in this thing. Just don't have a clue how to get them out. I don't have a problem with my 2 button Wet Reverb pedal. I may just have to stick with it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 11:31 am    

I don't have any experience with this unit, but I found a link to the online manual. It may be the same as your paper copy, I don't know.

I sent you a PM from their chart about accessing programs. Hope it helps.

I'm sure others here are more familiar with it and will likely respond with some short cuts and navigation help.

It also tells about 2 types of programs as with many processors. It has a factory bank and a bank for user presets for your own custom programs.

I know the initiation to these type of processors can be a bit daunting, but with some time spent familiarizing yourself with it, you should be able to do just about anything you want. Good Luck.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 1:05 pm    

You might think of contacting Brad Sarno. For a few bucks plus the cost of shipping he put in some phenomenal delay and reverb settings in mine. Well worth the handful of bucks it cost IMHO. The man is a wizard with this stuff

Best of luck,

Skeeter

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 6:18 pm    

George, after you turn the knob to move to a different preset, you will not hear the new patch until you hit the Recall button, which will be blinking orange, sort of indicating the change hasn't been made. This can be handy: you play through one preset, turn the knob to another for a certain part of a song, then just tap the recall button to activate the new patch.

That's about all I know. Once on a gig I accidentally grazed a button, can't remember which one, but suddenly I had no sound through the entire M-OneXL and Stereo Steel. Didn't figure it out until the gig was over; played through a crappy guitar amp all night, and plugged and unplugged every cord in the signal chain with no success trying to troubleshoot the problem. Practice with the buttons at home, know what the dang things do, before you play out!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 6:46 pm    

BTW, if it has GD Walker presets, don't be afraid to call Gerry for help. He's a super guy and has always been very gracious with information and his time anytime I ever needed any help.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2018 1:34 pm    

Once you dial up the preset you want, press Enter to activate it. Enter is the top right button, next to the Select knob. Set the switch on Series. The 3 small knobs on the left control how much of each effect you get..I usually have those at about 9 o'clock. If it's one of Gerry's presets, the reverb is the left most, the delay is the center and the send is right most. Delay speed is a tap button marked Tap. The red blinking light shows the speed. You can use the Bypass buttons to turn off the effect of each 'engine' so you can adjust each one individually, then turn them back on.
Gerry put his presets in 2 places .. starting with 1 in user presets and starting with 50 in the same bank, so if you accidentally corrupt one, you can copy it from the other.
Hope this helps...

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 2:17 am     Need some help with TC Electronics M-1

OK,thanks to you guys help, I got it figured out. Really pretty simple. That is the good news. Bad news is I have tried all 24 of the factory presets and all 100 of the user presets and didn't find anything that is in the same league as my Wet Reverb stomp box. So the TC will be filling out my rack setup and look pretty, but will not be used except as backup.