The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Forum can make you feel Insignificant
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 12:37 am    

My first impression of the Steel Guitar Forum was the pain of realizing that in the world of Steel Guitar I was at best insignificant.
After a few years on the Forum I felt more and more insignificant and decided in view of this I would just give up on the Forum, Steel guitar and do things that I enjoyed!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 1:10 am    

Don't worry Bo, there are plenty of us LESS significant than you ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 1:20 am    

Insignificance is relative.

My two years’ experience here so far has been humbling. Taking part in discussions with so many great players and mechanics, famous and not-so, has made me realize what an endless challenge this instrument is even for them. That has forced me to get real about my own playing, and I pay special attention when a Master joins in.

I may be a PSG Insignificant, but I have been treated with the respect of an equal here at least on the social level. Mostly. That is inspiring in its own way. It’s a big family and there is the occasional jerky comment, but it’s usually about nothing anyway.

I’m glad you are doing what you enjoy, Bo. I’m sure many people enjoyed your playing.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 1:29 am    

Bo I remember your "Unplugged" (or whtever it was called) thread from a few years ago. That was the most funny thing I've ever seen on the Forum. Don't quit!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 4:40 am    

The universe can make me insignificant. Being on the Forum makes me not be alone.
I didn't join as a player, I was already insignificant in the steel world. Rubbing elbows, virtually, with outstanding musicians is humbling.

In a top ten list of players I thought not insignificant, you're on the list, Bo. I for one have missed you here for your off-center view.

We come and go.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 5:13 am    

Nothing wrong with taking a break from the forum. Nothing wrong with taking a break from Steel guitar, life is short, you should always make room for things that you enjoy.

I've certainly taken breaks from both the forum and steel guitar. Sometimes the batteries need recharging. What I've found, the steel guitar forum and the steel guitar will still be there when you want to come back

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 7:41 am    

Quote:
What I've found, the steel guitar forum and the steel guitar will still be there when you want to come back

Be careful Bill, we once thought that way about the ISGC. (Time marches on and all that stuff....)

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 8:12 am    

here is hoping b0b has a long healthy life

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 8:21 am    

Being away for a long while and doing things I enjoyed didn't change anything except the realization that I had always been doing things I enjoyed more than the Forum and Steel Guitar.
Discovering my insignificance was a good thing.
We’ve grown up in a world that constantly tells us we are supposed to be special. As a result, most of us have a little voice in our head that tells us how we should act and what we need to do to fit into the societal definition of being successful. Feeling special has become a need rather than a desire. The funny thing about seeing the world through a new lens of insignificance is that I realize how minimal our existence truly is. I believe that being insignificant is not something I would necessarily need to apologize for.
I really missed you guys!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 11:36 am    

Bo, Back over the years I always had it In the back of my mind to be able to play and sound as good as guys like the big "E", Lloyd Green or Paul Franklin. I still would but I don't loose any sleep over it. I will just go on playing the way I am now and be happy with it. Basically playing at my God giving level he has allowed me to. As far as the Forum I am on here daily. I love to read all the posts and it is fun to communicate with each other. I still take plenty of time with other things in my life I like to do. I don't let PSG dominate me. All for fun.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 12:37 pm    

Without us Insignificants the Significant Ones wouldn't have anyone to inspire, so we have our place Cool

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 12:56 pm    

Quote:
Simply moderate giftedness has been made worthless by the printing press and radio and television and satellites and all that. A moderately gifted person who would have been a community treasure a thousand years ago has to give up, has to go into some other line of work, since modern communications put him or her into daily competition with nothing but world's best.

Kurt Vonnegut

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 2:47 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Quote:
Simply moderate giftedness has been made worthless by the printing press and radio and television and satellites and all that. A moderately gifted person who would have been a community treasure a thousand years ago has to give up, has to go into some other line of work, since modern communications put him or her into daily competition with nothing but world's best.

Kurt Vonnegut

Not to even mention the internet. But that’s a GOOD thing. It saves a lot of time to get your “original” idea shot down immediately by people who know more and have worked harder on it. And for learning — I feel like I’ve already died and gone to heaven! For example, my chances of having someone like Paul Franklin for a teacher, without the internet, would be near zero.

For all this, I’ll cope with the insignificance! Very Happy

—Al Evans

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 3:53 pm    

If your ambition is to impact the world, then by all means, I encourage you to keep going. My point is that you should stay humble in your efforts to do so. We are all just people trying to get through life the best we can and my choice to play steel, continue on the Forum and just remain insignificant by spending most of my time in having fun.
While I was away I spent a lot of time on chord substitutions for E9. I started a thread regarding it that you might find interesting and your input would be appreciated.
Click Here

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 4:06 pm    

I'm not insignificant.
I'm just not very important.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 4:21 pm    

Over the years, I have experienced "significance" in various aspects of my life, musical and otherwise . I've never been really comfortable in those situations though. I have always worked hard to be good at what I do, and I like to be recognized for it in a low key way. But I really don't like to be the center of attention.

I'm a hack at steel guitar and always will be, but that's completely cool with me. It's fun, it's a challenge, I'll do the best I can with it, and take comfort that no one will be seeking me out as some kind of expert. Personal satisfaction is all that I'm after. I really respect, value and admire the talent of my fellow forumites. I hope that I can contribute in some small way, but mostly, I'm here to learn.

The forum has been a great place for me to kindle one of my many bad habits....

Dave

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 4:42 pm    

This board is full of great people and great musicians that will help with anything asked. I really appreciate that. Insignificance is only a state of mind. Your always special to someone.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 5:06 pm    

Insignificance ... sounds like low key, peace, quiet, and low stress .... sounds good to me Smile

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 5:41 pm    

Kevin Fix wrote:
Bo, Back over the years I always had it In the back of my mind to be able to play and sound as good as guys like the big "E", Lloyd Green or Paul Franklin. I still would but I don't loose any sleep over it. I will just go on playing the way I am now and be happy with it. Basically playing at my God giving level he has allowed me to. As far as the Forum I am on here daily. I love to read all the posts and it is fun to communicate with each other. I still take plenty of time with other things in my life I like to do. I don't let PSG dominate me. All for fun.

What Kevin says how true.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 7:31 pm     Re: The Forum can make you feel Insignificant

Bo Legg wrote:
After a few years on the Forum I felt more and more insignificant and decided in view of this I would just give up on the Forum, Steel guitar and do things that I enjoyed!

Welcome back Bo - it is good to have you posting here again. Smile

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 9:36 pm     thanks for PSG & the SGF

Not only my favorite, but this might be the most significant topic I've read on this forum! Cool

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 10:14 pm     Re: The Forum can make you feel Insignificant

Must admit I am slightly confused, as I'm not sure I get how an internet forum like this can induce feelings one way or another about anything.

OTOH, I have noticed that social media in general can have serious – sometimes devastating – effects on some of the less prepared.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 12:18 am    

Like Damir, I enjoy the lack of stress Very Happy

Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 7:50 am    

I am happy to be listening in on all of the contributions and conversations on this forum and social media. I missed the days of the St. Louis convention because of having to keep my head down and just work. I can now get to a few events, and really like hanging with the folks who have been there and done it. This is what the internet was supposed to do. Connect folks. I sure hope I get to shake your hand someday Bo, but if not, glad you are back.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2018 8:10 am    

Hmmm... now I'm confused. Is Bo coming or going?