The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Triple-raise for old MSA
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2018 4:55 am    

Tom Bradshaw designed, and Michael Yahl makes and sells, a triple-raise/lower block to add another pull to an old 2 raise/2 lower MSA.

Unfortunately, he's out of stock, and hasn't had time to make any. I don't want to hassle him for one ten-dollar part, so I'm wondering...

Does anyone happen to have one of these in stock/lying around unused that they could sell me?

Thanks in advance!

--Al Evans

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 1:26 pm    

Surely somebody has one of these lurking in an old parts bin somewhere?

--Al Evans

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2018 1:42 pm    

Al - You should contact Tom Bradshaw and/or Jim Palenscar, out in California.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2018 4:58 pm    

You can also switch to a Sho-Bud rod and barrel on that string.
I have one I can send you along with the two shorter spacer tubes, either email or call me at 816-206-0239.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 8:42 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Al - You should contact Tom Bradshaw and/or Jim Palenscar, out in California.

Thank you. I've just emailed both of them; maybe something will turn up.

--Al Evans

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 9:08 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
You can also switch to a Sho-Bud rod and barrel on that string.
I have one I can send you along with the two shorter spacer tubes, either email or call me at 816-206-0239.

Thank you! I'm new at this, and not sure I understand how this would work. If I've got it right, the rod would run through the barrel to the bell crank on the pedal/lever nearest the tuning head. The same rod could alternatively be actuated by the puller nearer the changer, where the barrel would be up against the bell crank and pull the rod. Is that somewhere close?

If so, it's a pretty neat solution, and I'll gratefully contact you if nothing shows up by the middle of next week or so!

--Al Evans

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 11:37 am    

The rod will pass through the pull-pins on all the raising bellcranks and get screwed into none of the pull-pins (the far end of each barrel screws into the rod).
To tune a pull, you activate the pedal or knee you want to tune, and spin the rod. The near side of the barrel grips the pull-pins and spinning the rod will make it go more or less. Activating a change pulls the other barrels clear of the pull-pins in the other bellcranks.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 11:38 am    

Al Evans wrote:

Thank you! I'm new at this, and not sure I understand how this This (the Sho-Bud rod and barrel system) would work.

--Al Evans

It works, but Tom's gizmos are easier to tune.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 12:06 pm    

Both work, but each is different to tune and slightly awkward to install if you DIY.

The Bradshaw gizmo requires you to remember that one change is on the "wrong scissor" (you can use either the opposite scissor of the same string or an adjacent string's scissor for the same direction)¹. This can take a few weeks to remember. It is also a bit tricky to install, requiring you to use flat dental floss as a 'puppet string' to get the second half aligned with the first. The Bradshaw gismo also requires a free hole on an adjacent scissor².
These are the only 2 downsides to the Bradshaw gizmo that I can think of. The first is easy to get used to and won't be a problem after a few weeks, and the second one is only a problem once.

The Sho-Bud barrel requires (or at least works best) you to tune the changes in ascending order of how far the bellcrank moves (so that all other barrels are pulled free of the pull-pins of inactive changes.
The barrel system is also very finicky with regard to both bellcrank placement on the rods and all the pull-pins being on the same hole in the bellcrank: the rod must be dead straight and not be pulled left, right, up or down. This makes installation a bit of a pain, but if you put all the barrels on but don't tighten them, and make sure that it moves cleanly in and out, and that it spins freely, then your bellcranks and pull-pins are correct.
These are the only two downsides to the Sho-Bud rod and barrel system. The first is easy to get used to and won't be a problem after a few weeks, and the second one is only a problem once.

If you do your own work, either will test your patience. If you have people who do the wrenching for you, ask them which they would recommend (or charge the least to do).

¹by this I mean that, if you are adding a third raise to the E9th 5th string, the third pull will have to ride on either the lower scissor of the 5th string, or the raise scissor of the 4th or 6th string.

²if you have a fully loaded modern copedent, you may find that you have run out of holes. If you have a whole tone drop of 6 with a tunable split, then you can't donate the 6th string raise scissor; it has 2. If you have both a half step drop of 5 and a 'Franklin pedal', then you can't donate a 5th string lowering hole, they're both in use, and you can can't donate the 4th string raise hole, they're both in use.

I wish I'd taken a picture of the MSA I'd done that required multiple gizmos. Since he wanted a tunable split on 6 (the whole tone drop plus the B pedal), A a Franklin pedal, and a tunable split between the A# lever and the A pedal, much thought went into it.
That's three raises on 5, 2 lowers on 5 and 6, 2 raises on 4 and 6, so there weren't any free donor holes.
I ended up putting the 6th string split (actually the final lower correction, but those who follow this sort of thing know what I mean) on the 7th string raise scissor and the B pedal on one of the 6th string raise scissor. This freed up a 6th string raise hole to donate to the 5th string split tuning (I could have gone to the opposite side, and moved the F lever to the 3rd string, so I could donate a 4th string raise hole to the 5th string, but decided against it). So two changes had to be tuned on the "wrong string", which required color coding to make the learning curve tolerable.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 4:56 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:

I wish I'd taken a picture of the MSA I'd done that required multiple gizmos....

Ouch, that makes my head hurt. Very Happy All I'm trying to do is get both As to raise a half-step on the C6th neck with RKR, so it will match the setup on my Mullen.

I hadn't even thought of the fact that Tom Bradshaw's gizmo could be set up to steal a place from an adjacent finger. Cool! I hope I can find one of them; it sounds like the more straightforward solution.

--Al Evans

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2018 7:40 pm    

For an additional raise on the 4th string of the C6th neck, I'd turn it sideways and steal one from the G string which usually goes unraised.