The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What strings for your 6 and 8 string lap/console steels?
Joe Major

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 2:20 am    

I'm a new player after playing "armpit" guitar since the 1960s. The armpit players have an almost infinite choice of strings. I know the SGF forum sells some lap strings, and there are a few other options. I'm using the excellent SIT string sets now. I'm looking to try low E13 8 string and high C6 8 string. Looks like assembling the right gauged sets from single strings is the way to go. Am I on the right track, and what's the most economical way to do that? I appreciate any suggestions you have.
Thanks,
Joe

Bo Parker

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:32 am    

I use stringjoy.

https://www.stringjoy.com/

You can order custom 8-string sets from them. I get high-G C6 and McAuliffe E13 sets from them.

-Bo Parker

Joe Major

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 6:59 am    

Thanks a lot, Bo. Appears to be just what I'm looking for. Nickel wound and choose each string gauge. Can't ask for more than that.
Thanks,
Joe

Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 9:39 am    

I like to support the forum whenever I can. Look under the strings tab at the top of the page. Likely you can find what you are looking for and support the forum at the same time.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:26 pm     Me too, Buy Forum

Me too, I also try to get as much as possible from the forum to support this site where I go most often. Need to place another order soon.
Wish Bob would get the National finger picks again. Very Happy Hint, hint.....

I live overseas, but return to the states at least twice a year. I usually place an order before I return so my stuff is waiting for me when I get to my destination in Oregon.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Joe Major

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 2:43 am    

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I don't see all I want under the Strings tab. That's why I asked to begin with.
Joe

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 9:01 am     I Love

Love the Scotty's semi-flat strings. They're not as noisy as "regular" strings, but still have a bit of bite/brightness.

Here's the C6 set I use:

http://www.juststrings.com/sit-sc-c6th-8.html?productid=sit-sc-c6th-8&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=JuststringsCSE&gclid=CjwKCAjwma3ZBRBwEiwA-CsblJpgGRsCEo51gR3Sto-OBIAx86gM-kO7r-KsALmp6xObgTFRIPxb9hoCWx4QAvD_BwE
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Joe Major

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 11:45 am    

Thanks Mark,
I really like the Scotty's too. Excellent strings, and the packaging is the best. Boxed, sealed plastic, and then individual sealed plastic bags for each string. I will never buy John Pearse again because of the packaging. Things rust here, and it's hell to open a new pack of strings and find half of them useless. With the Scotty's, for high G C6 I have to add a lighter gauge 1st string and lose one of the midJoele strings. I wonder if SIT sells individual strings?

Phillip Vaught

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 3:47 pm     Strings

I use J.D'Addario strings from the maker of my steel, Georgeboards.

Joe Major

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 2:57 am    

That's a good idea, Phillip. Here's links for D'Addario single strings. An E13 set W/ 0.064" E on the bottom (like I'm looking for) is about $13 + very reasonable shipping.
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dniwoelsist.html
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dplstsist.html
Gauges go from 0.007 to 0.080"

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 3:59 am    

I generally try to use existing sets (I like SIT sets, definitely) and springboard off them with just a few extra single strings as its a bit cheaper than buying all custom gauges, usually. Ie, your high C6, if you like the SIT ones you've used, most places sell plain steel single strings for less than a buck, just add in the high G and donate the low string to charity Smile. For E13, I would write out the gauges you want, approximately, and then just cross reference existing string sets til you find one that fits, or very nearly fits...thus minimizing how much a la carte string buying you have to do.

Joe Major

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 4:40 am    

Thanks Nic. For C6 I'm doing the SIT + 1 idea like you recommend. I buy the single string from an online big box for about $2/dozen. Looks like SIT doesn't make a string between about 0.056 and 0.068 or 0.070," or I'd mix & match low E13 too. I don't see where they sell singles either. Don't mean to beat this dog to death, but I'm sure there's more ideas out there.
Thanks All,
Joe

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 6:19 am    

Not sure if they have the half-round ones, but you can get SIT roundwounds in those sizes here:
http://www.juststrings.com/powerwoundsitguitarsinglestrings.html

Jim Peter

Mendon,Mich USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 7:33 am    

You can always try Elderly Instruments.

https://www.elderly.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=lap+steel+guitar+8-strings