The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  play steel like violin...? is it possible?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 9:34 pm    

Mitch Ellis wrote:
No matter what effects or techniques were used, I have never heard, at least to my ears, one instrument successfully duplicate the sound of another.

Mitch

Have to agree with you 99%. The 1% left over is largely due to the Jason Fitz fiddle solo on “Done” by The Band Perry, which sounds as much like Eddie Van Halen as Eddie does.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4emYaDbaJ8w
Skip to 2:00 if the song isn’t your cuppa java.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 1:07 am    

I can imagine a hand-held rosin covered wheel the size small enough to cover max two adjacent strings, driven by a small el-motor, could work in the right hands. Would allow for bow-like "dancing on the strings" at some speed, and a light "dobro-sound" bar, combined with regular muting, might cut down the natural steel-sustain a bit for more fiddle-like sounds.

Concept borrowed from the Hurdy Gurdy

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 4:42 am     Re: Play steel like violin

Lyle Dent wrote:
Henry, thanks. Some songs just have to have both steel and fiddle. Cherokee Fiddle just wouldn't sound the same.

Good point, however, I wonder why a band without a fiddler would play Cherokee Fiddle. To me, if the band were to insist on playing a fiddle tune without a fiddle, it would be best to NOT try to imitate the sound of a fiddle. Embrace the instrumentation the band has available and run with it.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 7:54 am    

Quote:
To me, if the band were to insist on playing a fiddle tune without a fiddle, it would be best to NOT try to imitate the sound of a fiddle. Embrace the instrumentation the band has available and run with it.

This same thing happened to me years ago when I got saddled with playing the leads to "If you're gonna play in Texas you gotta have a fiddle in the band. I felt like an idiot, but as it were, nobody except other musicians paid any attention anyway.. Oh Well

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 10:11 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
This same thing happened to me years ago when I got saddled with playing the leads to "If you're gonna play in Texas you gotta have a fiddle in the band. I felt like an idiot, but as it were, nobody except other musicians paid any attention anyway.. Oh Well

Oh man....were you in Texas? Laughing