The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone playing nonpedal C6 material on E9 PSG?
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 5:21 pm    

Before I started on E9 pedal steel, I spent some time working on C6 non-pedal tunes (with 6 and 8 string lap steels).

I sold those laps to help finance my Stage One. And while I'm loving the PSG, I also had a blast playing nonpedal C6 and have a bunch of transcriptions and materials for it (Andy Volk, the Joaquin book, Mike Neer and tons of tabs).

Seems to me that if you drop your E's on the E9, you get a B6 tuning, correct?

So before I go out and buy another lap steel or even a D10 psg........any real disadvantages to sticking to the E9 for this material?

Anyone doing that, much?

(might also post this on Pedal Steel sub-forum, to get their perspective as well)

Thanks!

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 10:15 pm    

I like playing E9th pedal steel and C6th non-pedal too so I installed the "Sigler" pedal on my S-10 GFI. I think I had to buy 5 rod kits to do it. It gives you 8 strings of pure C6th.

E9th......................................Sigler Pedal

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 12:06 pm    

Lowering your E strings is the basis for the E9/B6 universal tuning. You can also get a basic A6 with the A and B pedals down as well. The same intervals as C6 with the G on top, only 3 frets lower on strings 4,5,6,7,8 and 10. These combinations also help with understanding E9.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 4:06 pm    

Actually, I have been experimenting with doing the exact opposite: Adapting a few of the (mostly) Ray Price shuffles from the old Emmons Guitar Company BE-E9 course to standard 6-string C6 tuning.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 2:41 am    

For all my C6 work I use my National D8 - but I also have a ShoBud 6139 that sits here getting little use but sounds a dream. The E raise and lower I have on the right knee which stems back to my days of starting off with a Maverick. The only problem is once my foot is on the volume pedal my right knee is raised a bit and the pressure point on the lever is very close to the guitar body. Bit more effort is needed and if you lose concentration you find the lever starts to creep back.

You also have to get used to the fact that the F# is at position 1 so I have also pondered on the idea of moving the F# to sit between the E and G#. The only snag is that I then have to rethink the pattern of E9 runs. Then there is playing everything up one fret compared to how you have done it in the past.

I suppose whatever you do there is going to be a compromise somewhere.

As for E9 tunes on C6 - results have been pleasing and can be found on my souncloud page under Mike Hearn. Its great fun and a lot of bar twisting.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 4:05 pm     E9 to A6 is better

E9 to A6 is better because your A&B pedals already take you almost all the way there.
This is the tuning on my two main PSG's. One on them has just the first 4 pedals.

I use my 3rd & 4th pedal to get A6th notes on all 10 strings. Straight A6th from the 10th to the 4th string. All the knee levers work to do things that are useful in A6th.

On a standard PSG you could just reverse the function of the 2nd & 9th string lever.
If I only had 3 pedals I'd lower my 10th string to A on the first pedal because I use that far more often than the raise on that string, but thats just me.

I've had my 2nd & 9th tuned to C# and raised by knee since 1978 and also started to use my 4th string E to F# on a knee that year.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 6:00 pm    

I played this on 10 string E9th pedal steel with no audible pedal actuations. The bar slants are pretty hard to do accurately on a pedal steel with the close string spacing.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Samples/Sand.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 6:59 pm     WoW!!!!

WoW Greg, Thats really really nice.
I'd never have guessed it was a pedal steel. Whoa! Laughing Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 4:42 am    

Thanks Andy! You sure have a lot of nice guitars.

Although not all "no pedal" sounds, This page has a handy chart showing various pockets of C6 notes with different pedal combinations on the E9th tuning:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 4:26 pm     E9th to C6th or A6th

Hi Greg,
Your right about those positions getting the same notes as C6th, however my thinking is that the A&B pedals down A6th is far better for so many of the notes being together and more than that, most of the knee levers working so well with the A6.

Granted, my tuning with the 2nd and 9th strings tuned to C# and raised by knee lever is opposite of almost every other player, but that and dropping the 10th string to A really helps.
I think I remember seeing somewhere that Weldon Myrick also tuned those to C#, but I'm no Weldon Myrick.
I did it to help with a shaky right hand that sometimes hit the wrong string... Whoa! Embarassed Playing an accidental C# note in both E or A sounds way better that hitting an Eb by accident. Laughing

I still feel that thinking in A6th, even if you have to hold the knee lever in to lower the 9th and 2nd is an easy way to get 6th sounding stuff.
Still the things you were doing in that link are great. Right about the slants being harder, but you do have pedals and knees to replace some of those.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 21 Jun 2018 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 5:50 pm    

Great stuff, guys!

Greg, do you have a tab for "Sand" somewhere? That sounds great!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 5:56 pm    

No tab but uncluttered rhythm track here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab19.html