The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SOLD on Fleabay: National Scheerhorn Squareneck Tricone #001
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 3:56 pm    

National Scheerhorn Squareneck Tricone - One of a Kind!!
$3,300+ship (maximum $100)

THE STORY:
This instrument - National Scheerhorn Squareneck Tricone Prototype #001 - was handmade by National in 2016 and buried deep in their website in the “Support” section. It is the only one they made, as a prototype for production. (Custom instruments are now shown in a link at the top, after I mentioned to them that this might be a good idea - and in fact, most of them have sold since then.)

I believe they made a mistake in pursuing the National M1 instead of this one as their wood-body tricone (I’ve owned an M1) - this model sounds way more interesting, the M1 is a simple, straightforward plywood tone!

I was in a search for the perfect resonator…and it had to be a tricone, because, as John Dopyera of National said, “Tricone music flows like a river”. He only invented the single cone resonator to be able to sell a cheaper instrument to the public, after making tricones for about a decade.

Tim Scheerhorn personally made only three tricones in his career, and they sold for over $10.000…I actually owned one of them for a month (a longer story, available on request) and then let it go, to a collector in California. I then found this one on the National site and grabbed it!

THE LOOK:
It has a unique custom black burst finish over figured maple, with a color-matched cover plate (a special circular cover, unusual for a tricone). The cones shine through the cover plate, and the black burst maple wood glows…the real difference being slightly less of a boutique finish than the Tim Scheerhorn-made version , but still quite a level above standard.

THE TONE:
To my ears, it sounds the same as the Tim Scheerhorn version….

It has the full, rich, deep tone of a Scheerhorn, with the added complexity and reverb/chorus/sustain of a tricone.

Play near the bridge, and you get the cutting, ringing cone tone, competes with any single cone…play a little closer to the neck and you get an angels-singing, sustaining deep large Scheerhorn body tone added to the cone sound.

I’ve included a Krivo resonator pickup with custom 3-D-printed snap-in mount - install or remove in seconds, and sounds amazing (pickup is $180 new from https://www.krivopickups.com/store/p2/Krivo_Pickup_for_Resophonic_Guitars..html).

Also included is a custom Tim Scheerhorn Tone Enhancer ($100 new from Tim), a clip-on spider for the back that holds it off your lap when played sitting down and lets the back vibrate to allow a bloom to the sound (evidence that this instrument is a real acoustic one, where the whole thing contributes to the tone).

You can hear the effect of the Tone Enhancer on a Scheerhorn Tricone (one of the three Tim made) in this youtube clip (just google “Randy Kohrs Scheerhorn youtube” if the link doesn’t work). Note that the youtube video is the Tim Scheerhorn version of this instrument, not the National version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jucCvtcmrV8

With OHSC.

Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 23 Jun 2018 1:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 8:07 am    

there are a few clips on the net of folks playing it while it was at National, with info on recording. ….and of course, don’t listen just through laptop speakers, the depth of the Scheerhorn requires real speakers or headphones (not earbuds) to be fully heard....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjIn4Z32Pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uftacrLA-v4

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 1:26 pm    

PLEASE CLOSE, sold elsewhere...