The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wynn Stewart and CMHOF
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 5:50 pm    

What will it take to fix this travesty.There are only a few traditionalists left like Marty Stuart who might have the political capital to actually make it happen. I wonder if Buck and Merle ever lent their support. They both credit Wynn for the Sound that made them Superstars. Mooney deserves much credit too. L

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 8:25 pm    

I have complained about this for years to anyone who will listen (and some who won't).

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 8:29 pm    

The thought of Wynn being part of an organization that includes The Oak Ridge Boys, Garth Brooks, Alabama and others I won't name makes me throw up in my mouth a bit.

I'd like to think he'd refuse the "honor", if there is any.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 12:23 pm    

He couldn't refuse as he's passed away some years ago..... Wynn was indeed the first to champion the instrumental sound associated with Buck and Merle. He used the Tele sound and the steel of Ralph Mooney before either one of them did...

Being from Southern California I've had the pleasure of backing him up on several guest appearances at clubs I was working when he'd come by. He was a good act to book as all of his songs were done by a lot of the local singers.. From time to time he'd use his band, the Tourists (with varying members) but he did some guest shots solo... He had a very unique style and a lot of great material for sure.

I agree that it's a travesty that he isn't in the CMHOF as he's far more deserving than some who have already made it.. JH in Va.

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 3:47 pm    

Jerry, What a thrill it must have been to be on the cutting edge of West Coast Country and back Wynn. Will he ever make it into the CMHOF or will politics prevail? Enjoy your posts.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 8:22 am    

Gary,I too have many memories as Jerry with Wynn as my late dear friend drummer, Dick Cicor.Marty Stuart opended up for Merle Haggard on the " WAFFLE HOUSE TOUR "... Marty Stuart has no power in politics in Nashville with the CMHOF...... Nashville is a sad bunch of money making don't gave a dame about who is History in other states unless you paid them to Honor. It's like the Hollywood walk of Stars in Hollywood,California. Politics sucks and the people who do it this way..... SwampWater Fox from a part of the Bakersfield sound that I'll never get honor in or about for, & nor what I did in Nashville. ... I paid my Union dues to be nothing......But, thank God, I'm still around. HISTORY.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 9:47 am     Wynn

Wynn was a Great write, singer and entertainer.

His voice control and range were in a class of their own. Nice gentleman and pretty easy to work behind.

You knew it was time to listen up when he cupped his hand by his ear, because great sounds were about to be emmitted by that unique voice. Loved his stuff.

Should have been in the CMHOF a long time ago...
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2018 9:48 am     Wynn

Wynn was a Great write, singer and entertainer.

His voice control and range were in a class of their own. Nice gentleman and pretty easy to work behind.

You knew it was time to listen up when he cupped his hand by his ear, because great sounds were about to be emmitted by that unique voice. Loved his stuff.

Should have been in the CMHOF a long time ago...
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 11:57 am    

Ray, I was going to tell you "You can say that again, but you did".....LOL... Wynn was a short little guy but had massive talent which made him a giant. I wonder if his family got any cash when someone made that TV commercial that had "Another Day, Another Dollar" in the background.

The west coast definitely had a bunch of "hidden talent" that didn't get their due... Al Bruno should have been a world renowned guitarist and it's amazing how many haven't heard of him even though he could out pick 'em all... I was proud when you used him on your CD (which I still listen to)...

I don't know how they can keep on ignoring Wynn....JH in Va.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 5:41 pm    

Jerry Hayes,it's called Politics with big money... Where is the Academy of Country Music's Museum ? .. I've been told many time over it will never happen... And by now, I believe them board people for sure.... I have been fighting this position for years and no body has really stood up with me on this... No Body. I know for sure it's because " I Ain't Got No Pedigree" in music as a Musician / Songwriter (BMI) / Recording Artist / Music Publisher & many others reasons in Security of life. ..... SwampWater Fox with a " BLUE CRAWFISH CUP for JESUS. Winking

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2018 5:00 am    

In 1970 (I was a drummer then) I played with Wynn at a pretty famous Texas Honky Tonk. Ralph Mooney was on steel. I remember he had a old Fender pedal guitar. There was 2 cables wrapped around the necks to hold the guts of the guitar up. It had a half moon painted on it on the front. He was seriously drunk but played the crap out of that thing! He happened to kick off "It's such a Pretty World" in the wrong key, Wynn calmly looked over and said "well Ralph" and Moon never missed a beat and went into the correct key just like it was meant to be. It was pretty funny for the musicians. One of my fondest memories as a young kid was being asked to join the group. After seeing Mooney throw his guitar case at the trunk of the Cadillac from 10 feet, I didn't think I wanted that kind of road life. Wynn was a true professional and a very large talent. He is where I got some of my professionalism, just being around him made you feel like a true pro. He should be in the HOF. Has anyone written a letter to them?