The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Daly - 'Renascence'
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2018 9:10 am    

Mike Daly has just released a new steel guitar album called "Renascence" and it is awesome. Mostly original tunes, tightly arranged rock - the kind of stuff we don't hear often enough from steel players. There are some gorgeous quiet moments, too. Guest appearances by Lloyd Green, BJ Cole, Robert Randolph, Greg Leisz and Dan Dougmore. The liner notes tell you what steel and amp each guest is using.

And of course Mike Daly is one of the best steel players around. In addition to electric steel guitars he plays Weissenborn, high strung Martin dobro, slide madolin, baritone slide and percussion, all tastefully arranged in this high quality production.

It's available on Amazon, Spotify, CD Baby, iTunes, Anghami and probably a lot of other places. Search "Mike Daly Renascence" and take your pick.

Mike produces a new album every few years, and it's been a while. This one was definitely worth the wait!
<center>

</center>

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2018 1:06 pm    

What b0b said!

They used to call Jerry Byrd "The Master of Touch & Tone". I'd call Mike Daly "The Master of Tones and Textures!" Not only does he take us on a personal journey down some unusual musical roads, but he also blends in the guest steelers so seamlessly. You have to check the liner notes to even realize where Mike leaves off and the others begin. The attention to detail and the balancing and mixing of all the different slide instruments is pretty amazing. When you start putting steel parts together it can get pretty whine-y, but not in Mike's hands. Somehow all the parts have their own pockets and tones, except when he wants a particular blend. The time and effort Mike put in shines through all the tracks on this excellent album.

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2018 7:21 am    

Thanks for the kind reviews Bob and Joe. Here's to more steelers enjoying this journey. All the guests artists brought their individual voices to this project in such a gracious way, it was a pleasure and an honor to work with all involved..Enjoy..!!!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 11:47 am    

b0b, will Renascence be available from the Forum store? I like discs and liner notes!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 3:28 pm    

John McClung wrote:
b0b, will Renascence be available from the Forum store? I like discs and liner notes!

Sorry, John. I'm getting out of the CD business. Too much inventory, not enough customers. Oh Well

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 3:39 pm    

Sorry to learn that, b0b! Reminds me of the sadness Tom Bradshaw and I felt when we shut down Steel Guitarist Magazine, not enough subscribers to stay afloat. Guys could spend $2k on a steel, but not $15 for a year's subscription to a glossy 4-color zine (the price might have been even lower, memory is fogged up).

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 6:56 am    

John.. The disc is available @ Steel Guitars of Nashville or you can PM with your address and I will send one to you.. Amazon also has physical copies...

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 8:46 am    

I got my copy in the mail yesterday and it is a great record! Great job, Mike!

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2018 7:45 pm    

Lovin' it!

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2018 12:44 pm    

I was off today in Vegas and first played Suite Steel where it all began some 40 years ago then Mike's CD where it's hopefully going...great tones & inventive playing by Mike and all his great musicians. Not just pedal steel but almost anything you can use a slide on, enjoyed it very much..great job..thanks!

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2018 3:50 pm    

Mike-Congratulations! Steel Guitars Of Nashville still needs to add your new cd to their site.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2018 11:02 am    

Mike's CD is in my CD player as I write this, and it's going to stay there for a long time. The words
"Fabulous,""Wonderful,""Terrific," etc., have been overused so much they've lost all meaning, so instead I'll use a different word.

This CD is REAL. It's real music, played by a collection of master musicians. And it's not a collection of licks, or a rehash of tunes from the past. It's new and different, and most important, it's something that will appeal to anybody who everybody who appreciates instrumental music, not just steel players.

Kudos to Mike for making a "Fabulous," "Wonderful," "Terrific," etc. CD.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2018 9:29 am     cd

I just got my copy of the CD Just awesome. Very proud to see Lloyd Green and Robert Randolph played through the Fox Vintage Steel Amp, 212 model!

Thanks Mike!!

Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2018 5:51 pm    

Kudos to Mike on this fine work! I have my copy and it's part of my permanent collection.

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 11:36 am    

Yes Ken, your 212 was used by both Lloyd and Robert for tracking their solos. Amazing that these players each have such a varied and distinctive voice, and the amp articulated their individual styles and approach with ease. Lloyd ran his 1973 LDG and a Sho-Bud Volume pedal straight to the amp. I think Robert had a Tube Screamer in his chain before the amp with his 2pickup 12 string Fessenden... 🎶 Happy you are all enjoying the album..

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2018 12:28 pm    

I've been listening to this every day. Best steel guitar album ever!

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 7:18 am     The Best

Mike, I received my copy today, THANK YOU, and WOW, this is the best one yet!!!
I've listened to it three times already, their all so good I can't pick a favorite.
I guess I'd have to pick the last one, "Renascence" as my favorite.
Another job well done Mike. I hope you sell a million of them. Very Happy

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 1:29 pm    

I add my congratulations to Mike Daly for a terrific album that I've been listening to nonstop since it arrived. This is not, by any means, just "another steel guitar album". It really takes the steel (and other slidey things) to another plane. It's great to hear all these wonderful guest artists on this album, often in contexts in which one would not typically hear them, playing on these excellent tunes that Mike wrote. (To my ear, many of the tunes have a "rock sensibility".)

Yet, when all is said and done, I think my favorite tunes on the album are Andah and Renascence, two songs on which Mike is the only steel guitarist. Go figure.

Kudos to Mike and Friends for a great addition to the steel guitar literature!

JC

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 6:57 pm    

Mike
I got my copy today and needless to say it is a work of art that transcends the genre of "steel guitar album." Beautifully done, my man. Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?