Tennessee
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2015 6:50 am    

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Double_T_12

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2015 11:16 am     Re: Double-T 12 Speaker

ken collins wrote:
Is this speaker from Eminence available in 4 ohm? Thanks, Ken

Ken, it is not currently available in a 4 ohm variety. That being said, there are a LOT of people who run 8 ohm speakers on amps that are technically rated at 4 ohms. I could certainly argue that people make a somewhat bigger deal out of this than it actually is. But hey, if you absolutely must have 4 ohms...buy 2 and run them in parallel. Winking

http://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

ken collins

Oklahoma City, OK.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 7:56 am     Double-12 Speaker

Hi Troy. My question was actually a yes or no answer. Your commentary about having to have a 4 ohm as opposed to 8 ohm sounded like I am uninformed. I play a Nashville 400 on jobs, not miked, with high volume many times and peak output is important. Some power is lost with the 8 ohm. I am well aware that 8 ohms is very workable in most applications, but am still curious as to why 4 ohm was not the goal since so many players use an amp calling for a single 4 ohm speaker. My interest is weight saving, not any loss of power. Still, thanks for your response. No argument on your thinking, just my reasoning. Respectfully, Ken Collins

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 9:38 am     Re: Double-12 Speaker

ken collins wrote:
Hi Troy. My question was actually a yes or no answer. Your commentary about having to have a 4 ohm as opposed to 8 ohm sounded like I am uninformed. I play a Nashville 400 on jobs, not miked, with high volume many times and peak output is important. Some power is lost with the 8 ohm. I am well aware that 8 ohms is very workable in most applications, but am still curious as to why 4 ohm was not the goal since so many players use an amp calling for a single 4 ohm speaker. My interest is weight saving, not any loss of power. Still, thanks for your response. No argument on your thinking, just my reasoning. Respectfully, Ken Collins

Ken, it was not my intention to to come across in a demeaning manner towards you. I'm sorry if you took it that way. The short answer is...I made it 8 ohms because that's what I've used for years and that's what I prefer (as do many top players in Nashville). There are quite a few people using this speaker with amps rated at 4 ohms (including myself since March) with no complaints. As far as weight goes, it is exceptionally light. There is really no other speaker like it on the market. It is not a repackaged EPS series like other NEO speakers that are currently available. It was made from scratch by myself and the engineers at Eminence. I hope you get the opportunity to try one out, and see if it works for your needs. Cheers!

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 11:18 am    

Wouldn't putting an 8 ohm speaker in an amp (such as the NV112) which requires a 4 ohm speaker reduce the amps power rating?
I believe the NV112 is rated at only 80 watts to begin with.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 11:56 am    

Tom Campbell wrote:
Wouldn't putting an 8 ohm speaker in an amp (such as the NV112) which requires a 4 ohm speaker reduce the amps power rating?
I believe the NV112 is rated at only 80 watts to begin with.

Tom, the 4 ohm vs 8 ohm speaker on an amp rated for 4 ohms can become a hotly debated topic it seems. My personal experience, for what it's worth, is that there is typically an insignificant volume difference between the two. That's why myself and many others regularly run 8 ohm speakers on amps rated for a maximum impedance of 4 ohms.

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 3:03 pm    

I did an AB test yesterday with two of my Half and Half amplifiers. One had the Double T rated at 8ohms and the other had a similar Eminence speaker rated at 4ohms. There was no volume difference whatsoever with the amps set exactly the same.
Milkman Sound on Twitter

ken collins

Oklahoma City, OK.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 5:09 pm     Double-T Speaker

Whoa! Travis, a question about what is offered does not a hot debate make. Merely a question. I and many others I know, prefer 4 ohm speakers for my Peavey as the factory prescribes. Absolutely no problem with what you and others use, just my preference. I'm out. Ken

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 9:01 pm     Re: Double-T Speaker

ken collins wrote:
Whoa! Travis, a question about what is offered does not a hot debate make. Merely a question. I and many others I know, prefer 4 ohm speakers for my Peavey as the factory prescribes. Absolutely no problem with what you and others use, just my preference. I'm out. Ken

Ken, it seems you are taking my replies to you in a negative fashion. That is really not my intention at all. I was simply referencing the MANY threads on this forum where guys are arguing over the science of 4 ohms vs 8 ohms, etc. I never said you were wrong for preferring a 4 ohm speaker. I was just trying to provide some information on why you, and anyone else reading this thread might consider trying an 8 ohm speaker.

I respect that you were simply looking for a yes or no answer, but I feel it is my duty to try to provide as much info as I can to anyone reading the thread, who may not be as informed as yourself. All the best.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2015 9:59 pm    

The rule is that you shouldn't go below the rated impedance of an amp, because it risks overheating the output components. Using a higher impedance reduces the output power, but usually not enough to notice unless you're playing in a very loud band.

It's safe to use an 8 ohm speaker (or two!) in an amp that originally came from the factory with a 4 ohm speaker.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 5:26 am    

Just ordered the TT-12. Will put it in.a speaker cab to try with different amp heads. Thanks Travis for your insight and effort with this project.

Lenny

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2015 7:52 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
Just ordered the TT-12. Will put it in.a speaker cab to try with different amp heads. Thanks Travis for your insight and effort with this project.

Lenny

Hope it works well for you Lenny. Cheers.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 4:37 pm    

Most of the smaller Quilter amps. Like the Quilter MicroPro Mach2 12" Guitar Combo Amp, the internal 12" speaker is 8ohms. Also Quilter's extension 12" speakers, are also 8 ohms. The Quilter Aviator combo, same thing 8Ohm speakers. So actually, you guys are looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm glad Travis came up with this speaker in an 8ohm configuration. And like he said, run two of this bad boys, you get your 4ohms, and a real kick butt sound. Travis has a hit here. Install, you will love this speaker. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 4:19 pm    

I installed the TT speaker in a 112 cab and every amp I plug into has a unique vibe and tone. I believe Frency told me many years ago that an 8 ohm speaker was "smoother" than 4 ohm speaker. Never thought to ask what smoother meant.....

Plenty of volume with the TT speaker also...

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 5:17 pm     Double-T 12 Speaker

Surely Eminence will introduce a 4-ohm version of this later on. They are probably testing the water now since it is so new. An 8-ohm version does seem to be the most universally accepted impedance; however there are very valid reasons for someone requesting a 4-ohm version to match with the manufacturer specified ratings of many amps. I do realize that putting an 8-ohm transducer in an amp built with 4-ohms in mind will not really harm the amp; but there are many on the forum here as well as other musicians who would prefer to keep their amp running into the correctly rated speaker. Besides, it certainly can't cost any more to build a 4-ohm version than an 8-ohm. I say those of us who may be interested but hesitant should just give them more time. JMHO Thanks, Roger Smile

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 5:54 pm    

Actually Roger, this is Travis' speaker. Eminence just built it for him if I understand correctly. Not sure Eminence is really interested in putting out yet another steel guitar speaker. I know Travis worked very hard on this speaker, and it's a keeper. Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 6:11 pm    

Tim Marcus wrote:
I did an AB test yesterday with two of my Half and Half amplifiers. One had the Double T rated at 8ohms and the other had a similar Eminence speaker rated at 4ohms. There was no volume difference whatsoever with the amps set exactly the same.

Is it okay to use my Half and Half to drive my 8 ohm GK 2x10 bass cabinet, instead of the internal 4 ohm speaker?

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 7:49 pm    

yes!

the module can power an 8 ohm or 4ohm load. When I did my AB test, I noticed no difference in volume between the two amps. I had them both set up exactly the same, same settings, same steel and volume pedal - I just moved the plug between them.
Milkman Sound on Twitter

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2015 4:48 pm    

Got mine loaded in a Telonics cab and ready to head out to a couple of sessions and two gigs the next couple of days...

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2015 5:48 pm     Double-T 12 Speaker

Anyone in the speaker building business would have no problem in changing the resistance on the voice coil. I am not in the business, of course, but I'm quite sure that the change to accomodate a 4-ohm impedance voice coil vs. an 8-ohm model would be negligible. I think that it would probably only entail winding the coil with lower resistance wire rather than wire of a higher resistance value. Let's see of there is enough interest in a 4-ohm model to justify changing the resistance specs; they are probably taking a "wait and see" attitude. I can't blame them, corporations do it all the time. Best to all! Roger Smile

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 11:36 am    

Hi Travis,

Is it fair to say this speaker is NOT as mid scooped as the other Eminence
neo steel speaker,
Also, would the very topend be a little smoother as well?

Thx, in advance.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 9:33 pm    

Thanks, Tim, for the direct comparison. So, they (the Eminence TT 12 and the EPS-12C) are equal in VOLUME....what is the difference in how they SOUND?
The response curves shown on the Eminence website indicate the EPS-12C having 3-4 db boost from 2k to 4K and the TT-12 showing a 6db peak at 1.8K, rolling off to -4.5db at 3.3K.

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2015 9:49 am    

The Double T and the Telonics and the EPS 12 are all sonically different. Lets see if I can articulate it with words:

First off, I think they are all great, but there isn't going to be one speaker that is for everybody. If you want a JBL kind of sound, the closest you will get is the Telonics. Its got an extended top end that is reminiscent of a JBL (although still quite different in the midrange)

The EPS 12 is kind of JBL like, but does tend to bark a bit more. The Telonics is smoother. The EPS has some sparkle but not as much as the Telonics. If I had to rank them, the EPS12 would be at the bottom.

The Double T is all about a particular midrange frequency. I think if you are playing in a large band, and there are 3 guitar players and a fiddle and you really want to plug your self in to that mix at a certain midrange frequency the Double T 12 will get you there. Its not necessarily a full bandwidth sound like the other Eminence options. Its much more focused on the midrange and best suited for the pedal steel.

Playing 6 string out of these speakers, I tend to prefer the Telonics because of that open, larger bandwidth sound. However, for pedal steel only, I think the Double T will take just about any amp and voice it for pedal steel. In my 300W model, which has a solid state output section, the Double T installed reminded me of a Nashville 400: midrange laser beam that can not be mistaken - its a pedal steel guitar!

But with 6 string, and maybe lap steel, the Double T is a bit off the mark as far as voicing goes. Its a speaker that was designed for pedal steel, so that does not surprise me.

Hopefully that makes sense. If you are primarily playing pedal steel and want to increase the efficiency of your amp voicing, the Double T is your speaker.

If you do double duty with telecaster and want to use just one amp, the Telonics is probably your friend.

If you put an EPS12 into your amp 5 years ago because it was the hot new thing - I would say keep it in there and don't worry about it Smile
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 6:14 am    

Thank you, Tim.