The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sleeping/Awakening Windows Issue
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 7:19 am    

My Win10 rig is set to shut the monitor after 1 hour and go to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity. It usually does this properly (sometimes I find it still awake in the morning...who knows why)

When I wake it in the morning, sometimes it is fine but sometimes, when I walk away to make coffee, I come back and it has gone back to sleep (after I've left it for maybe 5 minutes). It might do this a couple more times if I leave it for a few minutes. And then it stops this behavior and stays awake.

I've checked my power management settings repeatedly, looking for some other setting that I'm missing including the advanced settings but I can't find any reason why it seems to want to shut back down after being asleep and being awakened.

I'll just write this off to Wacky Windows unless this is something anyone here has dealt with and solved. Familiar to anyone?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 8:29 am    

What is the PC hardware and which version of Win 10? e.g. Home or Pro and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Which version of Win 10 (latest is 1803). And has it always done it no matter which version of Windows or only since X version or only on the latest version?

I know lots of questions but can be important.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 8:42 am    

Thanks Jack.

It's Win 10 Home, 32 bit, version 1803.

It's a pretty 'mature' Lenovo desktop rig, at least 5 years old, maybe more....I forget. Pentium dual core. It's slow and probably nearing the end of its natural life. I'm starting to think about a replacement, on general principle.

It has always been a bit erratic with the sleep thing--sometimes it works as it should, sometimes it just doesn't shut down after those 2 hours.

I'm satisfied to live with it unless there's a simple thing to check.

Robert McDaniel

White Oak Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 3:13 pm    

Sometimes Lenovo (or Dell, or pretty much any manufacturer) install their own power management applications that can cause issues. You may want to check your programs list and look for anything starting with Lenovo. I can't remember what they call it off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be too hard to find if it is there.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2018 3:35 pm    

That's a good thought, Robert. Thanks. I'll check that out.
I've actually gotten a new rig. With a nearly full hard drive and very slow performance and chronic high cpu usage, I was getting leery of this old system. I picked up another Lenovo with mucho RAM that was on sale. So the old one won't be seeing much use.
The new one's power management seems to function properly. Next time I fire up the old one I'll ditch any Lurking Lenovos and see what happens.