The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nlsd
David Graziano

Cooperstown
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 4:52 pm    

Howdy. Just joined after buying this little gem, but I mostly flat pick acoustic country blues/Americana stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Lap-Steel-Electar-Zephyr-w-Original-case-Clean-500/302653517395

I've never considered buying a lap steel, just always played an old chunk of wood built by Oahu, until I woke up to this world. Can't wait. Any opinions on this guitar? Pickup info and possible upgrade suggestions? I think it's a 1939 build.

My first guitar teacher is a master. I was 14 and it was 1964. Buddy played in my father's band and took me in as a student. Nevertheless, I pretty much suck, but I'm grinding away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcipRLzk4zM

Looking forward to learning from you good lap steel geeks. Dave

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 5:14 pm    

I just got into steel guitar last year, and discovered your teacher about the same time...on that particular video! Great player!

You seem to have a similar problem I have...realizing you were quite fortunate with an exceptional teacher that is thus hard for mere mortals like us to live up to...since 2011 or so I studied with Ustad Imrat Khan learning sitar, an accident of luck and geography...one of the best sitar/surbahar players of the modern age.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCtjrsu4dFk

I don't know that I would rush to upgrade electronics on that guitar although I'm not an expert...there are plenty of practical cheap modern made guitars for cheaper that could serve as experimental testbeds (the 8 string SX lap steel is a pretty solid guitar, I have one and I like the design but just want to adjust the electronics a bit). But to each his own...

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 3:50 am    

I use a National D8 console and the pickups on those tend to be a bit on the weak side, so I have often thought of a rewind to give it more power. I will now no longer consider it unless something seriously goes wrong with the pups.

The reason? At the weekend I was playing at a steel festival in the UK playing a mixture of swing and pedal steel tunes mostly on the C6 neck. All the other players, and all of them pedal steel players, and using top brands, without exception came to me afterwards saying "What a sound, its terrific."

Get a good tone on your amp and then use your bar and fingers to create your sound. Don't pick really hard and relax your hands.