The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Padding questions/backing tracks
Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 6:59 pm    

I've been working with some backing tracks lately, mainly in 3/4 or mid tempo. It's presenting its own challenges, one being there's no vocalist to support or outline a melody.

I have a fair grasp on fretboard knowledge as far as chord location, but I was curious on how you guys would outline songs that have a repeating 1 to 6m or a 1 to 4. For example a line containing two measures of 1, then two measures of 6m. Barring the melody, It's hard for me because of the proximity is so close. You could just sit on your open fret, then hit your A Pedal, over and over. Same for 1 to 4. What do you guys usually do to make interesting moves for these quickly repeating close quarters changes?

Tim Herman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 8:00 am    

Learn 1 more inversion for each change and approach this as a bar moving/accuracy exercise. Then maybe more two note diatonic moves between the two inversions. Hope that gives you some fuel...good luck.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 6:01 pm    

Tim Herman wrote:
Learn 1 more inversion for each change and approach this as a bar moving/accuracy exercise. Then maybe more two note diatonic moves between the two inversions. Hope that gives you some fuel...good luck.

What Tim says, different inversions (and a few moving diads) will help.

This may also help: Go about halfway down the songlist here, and play the song "We Can Love Together"

https://www.reverbnation.com/stanhitchcockhearttoheart/songs

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2018 6:06 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Tim Herman wrote:

What Tim says, different inversions (and a few moving diads) will help.

This may also help: Go about halfway down the song-list here, and listen to the intro of the song "We Can Love Together"

https://www.reverbnation.com/stanhitchcockhearttoheart/songs