The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Rumble Amps
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:43 pm    

I just bought a used Fender Rumble 25 bass amp on craigslist for my grandson for $50. I've been wanting to try a Rumble with my steel. I can't believe how loud and clean this little amp is. It really sounds very good and sounds like it might even be loud enough to play a bar gig with drums. With the Contour button engaged I can almost imagine I'm playing through a tweed Bassman.

Is anyone using any of the larger Rumbles? The light weight, low cost, small footprint and good sound of this amp has really got me intrigued!

Last edited by Tim Whitlock on 22 Jun 2018 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 6:25 pm    

I'm "borrowing" my wife's Rumble 40 amp to use at home with my Dekley S10.. It's totally adequate for practicing and is plenty loud for my purposes. Super lightweight, cheap, and very versatile.

Bill

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:38 am    

Used one for a studio session (engineer is a bassist). Was fantastic. And feather light.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 7:12 am    

Call me crazy, but this amp sounds remarkably similar to the Quilter Aviator that I recently tried. It doesn't have quite the tube warmth or feel of the Twin Reverb that it's sitting on in the photo above but it's close enough and at about 1/4 the weight.

I'm watching Craigslist for a 40 or 100 watt model to show up.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 3:33 pm    

Tim, I don´t think that you´re crazy. I can´t speak from experience to the larger Rumbles, but I will echo (echo) what nice Amps these 25s are.

A couple of years back I built a Bass Guitar. Then I decided that I needed a Bass Amp. After a bit of comparison browsing, I bought a Rumble 25. At the price, I wasn´t expecting much, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a good little amp for guitars and steels as well the Bass. I have three pedals in front of it: Overdrive, Tremolo and Reverb. Except for the Reverb, these are hardly necessary, but they do provide the added effects of most steel/guitar amps.

I imagine that the bigger models are just as good of a deal. If you get one, be sure to let us know how it works out. Cool

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 9:57 am    

Sound clip ? Thanks !

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 7:44 pm    

John Sluszny wrote:
Sound clip ? Thanks !

I didn't record anything and now the amp is gone off to my grandson. I see Rumbles frequently on CL and will just wait for a 40 watter to show up.

Maybe Chris could post a clip from his session?

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2018 8:43 pm    

A gentleman by the name of Tony Arrowood uploaded to You Tube a lot of videos of himself playing his Marlen steel guitar through an old Peavey TNT bass amp. It sounds great.

Go to You Tube and do a search for tonyarrowood (all one word) and you should get the list of his videos.

Take a look at the wrist lever.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2018 10:59 pm    

I’ve tested the Rumble amps at GC a few times and can vouch for the tone. I think I played the 50 and 100. Nice headroom, volume, and the gain knobs were effective for emulating tubes. No Reverb, though. But light and inexpensive.
John

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2018 7:20 pm    

The EQ curves, and cleanliness, of modern bass amps are much better suited to steel guitar than the average modern guitar amps, most of which seem to have a fuzztone-jealousy complex when turned over "5" or so. And the slightly-fancier bass heads even have the mid-range parametric EQ's that work for steel. You have to watch speaker choice - horns, tweeters and aluminum cones are common - but if I ever had to rent or borrow an amp I'd start there.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2018 4:53 am    

As I recall, the Fender Steel King amp was designed around their Bassman 200 amp.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 3:49 pm    

I'm using a Fender Rumble 200 to augment a Fender Princeton 65w 12". I send my pedal board to both amps and start with the bass amp down, eq'd flat and horn switched off. Once I have the Princeton sounding right, I just bring up the bass amp to reinforce the bottom-end some (using it like a powered 15"). It helps on the lower strings with my "B3" effects. If either amp dies, I can at least keep something going 'til the end of the song.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 10:49 am    

I hve a Rumble 200 w/1-15" & I keep meaning to try it with my steel...just been too lazy to drag it outta the closet.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 6:03 pm     Rumble bass

Our Bass player just bought one. It weighs
20 lbs, and sounds awesome!! He plays it
through the system, and he can get several
different tones with the flip of a switch!

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 3:09 am    

Pardon me Brad.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Last edited by Derrick Unger on 23 Jul 2018 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 5:37 am    

Derrick,
Please start a new discussion rather than hijacking this discussion.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 6:51 pm     Rumble 100

I bought a rumble 100 to use primarily with my bass..but It sounds really good with steel..I think it is because of the extensive EQ possibilities..a low, 2mids and a high plus several toggles for other tone possibilities..cabinet is sealed and almost a cube which makes the low end fantastic..and the weight is UNBELIEVEABLE..I think it is 19lbs..would easily make a great cheap backup amp or a primary one..PS..takes pedals really well also[/u]
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2018 8:28 pm    

I've used my Rumble 40 on a gig. Sounds fendery like a twin, and no honk at all. I use it as the second "stereo" speaker with my main rig at home when practicing with the stereo reverb output.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2018 4:49 pm    

Update on my experience using the Rumble 40 as my pedal steel rig.

The power supply failed (unit would cycle off and on). Took it to The Amp Lap in Campbell, CA and was told that replacement parts were not available.

I pulled the amp from the cabinet and installed a Speakon connector to use with one of the Trace Elliott ELF bass amps. 10" speaker works fine as long as I don't push it too hard.

Bill